A Tesla engineer redesigned the chocolate chip

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/04/a-tesla-engineer-redesigned-th.html

39 Likes

But they’re not ribbed or anything?

18 Likes

Whoever designed these chocolate chips has never eaten a chocolate chip cookie. Half the point of chocolate chip cookies is that the chips get un-tempered in the baking and stay melty even after the cookie cools. The physical shape almost doesn’t matter as long as the ratios are right.

38 Likes

because chocolate chip cookies weren’t quite addictive enough already

5 Likes

Another engineer who has a solution in need of a problem. And believes competency in one area translates into competency in multiple areas. I work with quite a few of these and they are all dreadful people.

35 Likes
33 Likes

Theres an XKCD for everything isn’t there!

22 Likes

Cybercookies.

11 Likes

To be fair, they are quite striking and visually appealing chips. You could market them on that basis alone, and it might be a little oversold but it wouldn’t be anything worse than any other gourmet food marketing. “Single-origin gourmet chocolate gems” or whatever would be… tolerable, if overwrought.

But the ridiculous engineering wankery just pushes it over the top into “go fuck yourself” territory.

13 Likes

Whatever.

4 Likes

is it something to do with the coms port on the starship… or maybe something in the octovalve production value… just thinking a design process manner

Just buy chocolate chunks

12 Likes

The fact that the chips look like Tesla’s truck is a mere coincidence.

20 Likes

I’ve found that chopping a bar of baking chocolate so that it is much more irregular than chips produces a superior cookie

19 Likes

This is a good time to revisit this series of articles about one “artisanal chocolate” vendor, wherein the author coined the very useful word “sneetchcraft.”
http://dallasfood.org/2006/12/noka-chocolate-part-1/

4 Likes

I’ve almost completely converted to chocolate chunk, myself. We get the Enjoy Life mega-chunks, not because any of us have allergy issues, just because they are nice, high-quality, CHONKY chonks for our baking needs.

3 Likes

There are two excellent woman-owned vegan patisseries locally. This would be a good descriptor for some of their offerings. “Nibbed for her pleasure”.

Get off my lawn!

Aerodynamics is aerodynamics. If you’re comfortable with your gas-guzzling Tollhouse chips, that’s on you.

Edit for more accurate gender.

8 Likes

Now now, you can’t jump to conclusions. We need to do science on this. A double blind study.

I assume this means me eating double the number of chocolate chip cookies while blindfolded?

10 Likes

Will they eventually require a coup in a cocoa producing country?

3 Likes