A thread of our own- misogyny (Part 1)

Fuck off, Nathiel.

26 Likes

Not too far off from the Olympic diving uniforms

2 Likes

30 Likes

One thing that seems to be missing from the commentary about Biles is that her major problem seems to be a physical issue with the inner ear. Iā€™ve dealt with that kind of vertigo and itā€™s horrible just walking with it. I canā€™t imagine trying to do anything in a set of uneven bars with it.

7 Likes

Fuuuuuuck

Much more important to make them out of something cheap (and thus profitable) than out of something that isnā€™t toxic. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

17 Likes

Damn, you are putting me to the test here. There are a multitude of studies looking at cancer risk of wearing a bra (no increase), impact on lymphatic flow, effect of nickle exposure from underwires, but I can find nothing on health impacts from the actual materials. Like most things that outgas, I suspect it isnā€™t great to have something like that close to the intake port, but transdermal uptake isnā€™t usually a major thing. The statement about breast tissue being rife with nasty chemicals is unquestionably true, but that has more to do with the amazing amounts of lipophillic noxious compounds we have put into our environment, and the fact that breasts are mostly globs of fatty tissue. There is an overall increase in health risk in people who wear bras, but that seems to be largely due to the fact that the folks who donā€™t wear them tend to be thin, which is generally a good thing. Once BMI is corrected for, that largely goes away. Like any statistical manipulation, the possibility of skulduggery is present. ā€œStatistics donā€™t lie, but statisticians do.ā€

tl;dr: If there is an effect, it is small enough to not come to notice. However, it could equally well fall under ā€œwe never looked.ā€

24 Likes

Add to that, women with dense tissue are more likely to have breast cancer that is missed in the early stages because itā€™s harder to read on a mammogram and harder to feel unusual lumpsā€¦and guess how many women with dense breast tissue find themselves in need of wearing a bra?

(ask me how I know)

16 Likes

Iā€™m thinking burning them as a form of protest would make a bad situation even worse!

Manufacturers of products have made it nearly impossible to avoid exposure, now itā€™s just a matter of degrees.

15 Likes

Every study I have seen looking for PFOAs and dioxins and such essentially shows 100% incidence. As you say, itā€™s just quantities.

7 Likes

Who needs consent in the workplace?

10 Likes
17 Likes

>sigh< A woman tells a story of a customer service experience where a male caller explodes in anger after being told ā€œno.ā€ So, of course, angry men show up in the comments to ā€œnot all menā€ and accuse her of prejudiceā€¦ proving her point. She calls them out in later posts in the thread:

16 Likes

19 Likes

21 posts were split to a new topic: Empowerment

SSDD.

The only thing worse than men who perpetuate misogyny is women who facilitate and perpetuate it.

13 Likes
10 Likes

Not misogyny, I suppose. At least they tried! :rofl:

14 Likes

11 Likes

What woman could ever ask for more?! :laughing:

11 Likes

Ugh, this dudeā€™s poem. wtf?!

10 Likes