A thread of our own- misogyny (Part 1)

I remember multiple references to “The Mad King” in GoT, but it seemed like he was on the throne for a long time before anyone killed him. The big difference with Daenerys was how quickly the end came, and who decided to kill her. Just like IRL, partner violence was the threat she didn’t expect.

12 Likes

So that list was full of characters that I literally couldn’t believe people dislike. If you watch Bojack Horseman and hate Diane that can only be because you are a hardboiled misogynist. If I met someone who thought Peggy Hill was bad I’d wonder what planet they were from. People dislike Pam from the office? People who watched Jessica Jones didn’t like Jessica Jones? (What did they think they were getting themselves into?)

But wow do I have personal feelings about the suggestion that there’s anything ambiguous about how vile Deloris Umbridge is (I get a little exercised about people liking the adults in Harry Potter, they are almost universally terrible).

17 Likes

CNN host Chris Cuomo used his sources in the media world to seek information on women who accused his brother Andrew Cuomo, then the governor of New York, of sexual harassment, according to documents released Monday by the New York Attorney General’s Office.

While Chris Cuomo has previously acknowledged advising his brother and his team on the response to the scandals, the records show that his role in helping the then-governor was much larger and more intimate than previously known.

14 Likes

The Peggy Hill character is so unoffensive. Sigh. We really have a misogyny problem in the U.S. :frowning_face:

13 Likes

Kristen Wiig Yep GIF by Where’d You Go Bernadette

12 Likes
16 Likes
14 Likes

Ugh…

17 Likes

While depressing, I think that figure is a underestimate of reality.

12 Likes

I had to laugh at this list, because it doesn’t matter that certain laws went into effect in the 1970’s or 1980’s…a lot of what’s referenced was still the understood norm for much longer.

For example, a place I worked in the 1990’s required women to wear skirts or dresses, nylons, and pumps, even if not in a customer-facing position. And I got in serious trouble for pointing out (behind closed doors, to my supervisor) that giving the women an identical toiletry set but the men a booklet of about 50 gifts to choose between for Christmas was a lawsuit waiting to happen. The 1990’s.

21 Likes

More refuting misogyny, but…

15 Likes

They’ll be going after Billy Preston next.

11 Likes

All the people who claim Yoko Ono broke up the Beatles never cared about Cynthia Lennon either.

13 Likes

Home Run Baseball GIF by Bernie Sanders

People mythologize the Beatles way too much. They were great, sure… but there were other great artists from that era too, doing just as interesting things, if not more interesting things…

16 Likes

I guess they are like Marvel: incredibly big budgets compared to other things. Dominant. Not really my thing.

7 Likes

Leon Russell gets way too overlooked.

Edit:

Just read that career & all the people he influenced.

13 Likes

Ope!

11 Likes
11 Likes

I listened to a bit. The Solicitor General, Elizabeth Prelogar seemed to be doing a great job to me.

11 Likes

Doesn’t matter: she’s a woman arguing against what the Federalist Society wants.

14 Likes