It’s so often the roommate stuff that makes it hard, isn’t it? :joy:

8 Likes

Hang Up Flip Phone GIF by Motorola

12 Likes

“States rights.”

Uh huh.
:roll_eyes:

15 Likes

Has anything ever really been about state rights? The civil war certainly wasn’t. Who so passionately cares about what level of government decides something, except in hopes they can better circumvent what people want that way?

14 Likes

Funny, there doesn’t seem to be any info on whether the DNA was used at the time to find and prosecute the rapist.

13 Likes

I’m sure the rape kit is stacked up in the back room with all the others…

Angry Hate GIF

12 Likes

In my albeit limited experience, the people who talk about “state’s rights” seem to think they only apply when the rights the states are trying to ‘protect’ are far, far to the right.
I never heard anyone going on about state rights when CA enacted reduced emissions standards for vehicles then got challenged by TFG’s administration. Came out okay in the end, but not because of “state’s rights.” :woman_shrugging:t2:

15 Likes

Ohhh…they mean states’ rights as opposed to states’ lefts. I had been misreading it this whole time.

11 Likes

“States’ Rights” only ever matter to the Republicans, when they are used for purposes they approve of, typically oppressing Those People and/or women, or resisting attempts by the Feds to do something positive.

4 Likes

Angry Star Trek GIF

This young woman should be getting a lifetime cash award and a god damn medal, not a god damn fine and probation…

Remember ladies! Never KILL your HUMAN TRAFFICKER… especially when he’s gentle napping…

Police and prosecutors have not disputed that Lewis was sexually assaulted and trafficked. But prosecutors have argued that Brooks was asleep at the time he was stabbed and not an immediate danger to Lewis.

sassy bird GIF

14 Likes

“Not an immediate danger,” to her?

Larry David Wtf GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

Past and future don’t count, I guess, just this moment.
Police can knowingly and unnecessarily create dangerous situations by breaking into people’s homes in the middle of the night and shooting them in their beds, but a human sex-trafficking victim may not kill her captor to escape unless he’s physically attacking her :rage::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

13 Likes

There’s a boing thread on this now… enraging beyond belief…

11 Likes
12 Likes

Saw this here, too. The details are enraging, and a cautionary tale about how some cops use people (and don’t really care how they get the results that they want):

16 Likes

I was also going to post this. The story just got more infuriating as I read further

She is still being prosecuted by the cops for drug posession from both before and after the rape they caused.

This quote from the cop that sent her into the house made me scream at my computer:
“We’ve always done it this way," Parker said. “She was an addict and we just used her as an informant like we’ve done a million times before. Looking back, it’s easy to say, ‘What if?’"

Fucking sociopaths that don’t care in the least about the destruction to people’s lives they wrought just to punish people for drug possession

ETA: apparently I was too busy yelling at my screen to catch this the first time. Before the trial, with no plea deal, prosecutors have reduced the charges to third-degree rape for the rapist who was caught on tape. So fucking infuriating

14 Likes

Reason #3094578 why women do not report rape:

16 Likes
13 Likes

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/nc-school-asks-supreme-court-review-dress-code-89969747

School founder Baker Mitchell has said the dress code was intended to create a “code of conduct where women are treated, they’re regarded as a fragile vessel that men are supposed to take care of and honor.” For now, the dress code has been changed to allow girls to wear pants in line with the court ruling.

Good Lord, that is gross!

15 Likes

How about “no”.

10 Likes