A thread of our own- misogyny (Part 1)

6 Likes

Kristen Bell Omg GIF by The Good Place

This was from like 50 years ago, right? Right???
awww, shitā€¦

13 Likes

Talk about glass ceilings, huh?

12 Likes

That shitā€™s bulletproof.

13 Likes

The reason the glass ceiling hasnā€™t truly been broken is that many of the examples of women and minorities who ascended above it did so by assimilation into the existing power structure, meaning they looked different but acted the same way as the pale, stale, male elite they were joiningā€¦

1 Like

A really good academic perspective.

The title, despite the onebox, is ā€œI Slept on Legos: Where do I put that on my CV?ā€

5 Likes

episode 8 bullshit GIF by RuPaul's Drag Race

They want women and minorities to be as much like the male corporate drones as possible. Women who do that very much do better than their counterparts who are less likely to conform. Thatā€™s how corporate America (and many other sectors work) - conformity is still the key, not independent thinking. Corporate bullshit just likes to pretend itā€™s got diversity of thought, when itā€™s just the illusion of diversityā€¦

The REAL reason the glass ceiling still exists is for the same reason it existed in the first place - misogyny and racism. That is the explanation. Men, who still dominate much of public life donā€™t want women (and white people donā€™t want racial minorities) to ā€œtake their place.ā€

:smiley:

9 Likes

Right?

Yes assimilation happens, but itā€™s not on women and minorities to fix systems that are oppressing them.

GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

10 Likes

Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

9 Likes

I think you guys are arguing the same point. At least, thatā€™s what I got from his post.

5 Likes

Are we? I donā€™t know. @Kilkrazy seems to be arguing that women donā€™t get far in corporate America because they ā€œassimilateā€ into corporate culture and Iā€™m arguing that women donā€™t get far in corporate America because of ingrained misogyny. I mean, think of how much and how far someone like Sheryl Sandberg got by playing by the rules (and being from the elite class in the first place). Or look at how much Elizabeth Holmes ā€œassimilatedā€ to the tech-dude-bro culture. Both ā€œbroke new groundā€ by doing exactly what youā€™re supposed to do in the tech industry.

4 Likes

It seemed to me that he was saying women and minorities who do end up being the token examples got there specifically because they didnā€™t challenge the norms of the white patriarchy so theyā€™re considered ā€˜safeā€™ to let slip through, unlike those who actively work to change the system.

But it would be a lot better if heā€™d clarify, instead of me guessing based on whatā€™s been written so far.

10 Likes

tenor (1)

6 Likes

Chris Brown was treating a woman like shit (again), Usher stepped in and got jumped

2 Likes
10 Likes

I feel like the concern about that separation has [always] had to do with not interrupting the smooth flow from male artist to male audience, with male critic in between. If you say, ā€œAs a woman,ā€ or ā€œAs a person of colorā€ in responding, you disrupt what was formerly an unimpeachableā€”I use the word ā€œalpineā€ in the essay, and I think in the bookā€”and lofty exchange of ideas unmuddied by the mess of history. I feel like even in the time since I wrote the essay, and since Iā€™ve been working on the book, the centrality of separating the art from the artist has started to seem kind of hoary and out of date.

8 Likes

Coinydink-- I just listened to this podcast with her.

Sounds like a good book!

6 Likes

Yeah, itā€™s going on my X-mas list!

6 Likes

Cool.

I didnā€™t agree with all she said, and I think it would be more something Iā€™d read to get better clarity for myself on that thorny issue.

6 Likes

oh my lordā€¦

3 Likes