A thread of our own- misogyny (Part 1)

Hillary Clinton produced and Shannon Cohn directed “Below the Belt: The Last Health Taboo”, a one-hour documentary to premiere on PBS.

11 Likes

Oh, the tl;dr is that the PBS special will air tomorrow night in the U.S., and a couple more times, if you want to set it to record.

8 Likes

Why is it under-researched? Could it be because male doctors don’t actually think that women can feel pain like that? Just women being dramatic? “Periods are supposed to hurt, after all.” OMG, my profession is wonderful at times, but others…

12 Likes

Miranda Cosgrove Nickelodeon GIF by Paramount+

8 Likes

Just look how long it has taken society to recognize that a period could actually be so painful that you might need time off work, the first mention of a policy like that I saw in the 2020’s, and I work for a pretty “woke” part of the economy.

I’m sometimes feel I can undertand the scope of the ingrained misogny in society, and the same for most other discrimination (it’s a gigantic shadow, and has set the human race back immeasurably), but almost every time I’m reading a new post in here, I realize that actually, no, I don’t understand.

10 Likes

I’ve said a number of times, I am a man of all the privileges. I think I am a pretty effective ally, but no matter how much I try to comprehend how it is to be (women, Black, LGBTQ, Muslim, etc.) I know that there is a level I will just never understand. The biggest lesson I have learned is that if you want to understand a group’s experience, the only way to come close is to listen to the members of that group. It amazes me how many of my group not only cannot grasp this, but find it an offensive concept at it’s root. :man_shrugging: I guarantee that there would be outrage if a Black woman were to start explaining to white men what it is like to be a white man. And yet, reverse the roles and they find it quite reasonable. :rage:

10 Likes
5 Likes
2 Likes

In similar reports about custody battles like this, I rarely see the names of the judges involved. In my state, judges are elected. Raising public awareness about patterns of rulings could lead voters to get rid of bad actors. Without that information, all that’s easily available online are bar association recommendations and endorsements (aside from the usual input from political parties).

10 Likes
2 Likes

I was unaware about this…

Angry Frustration GIF by MOODMAN

8 Likes

Just what we need, a sympathetic look at the accused rapist/murderer, relying heavily on impressions by an Asian woman who had never met him but believed everything he texted her (his victims were both Asian women too). Also other people in his life, letting us know about his hobbies, quiet temperament, etc. Great.

3 Likes
5 Likes
2 Likes
4 Likes
11 Likes

Angry Jon Bernthal GIF by NETFLIX

Gaaaahhhghghghgh!!!

6 Likes

game of thrones khaleesi GIF

9 Likes

Gross. Gross. Gross. Gross. Gross. Gross.

5 Likes

disgusted new girl GIF

12 Likes