A thread of our own- misogyny (Part 1)

LOL

Needs a label so I can find it later.

POWER MISANDRY

9 Likes

No.

Iā€™m surprised this wasnā€™t already in this thread.

/goes back to lurking this thread

Eta: it does become a bit of a #notallmen, but I think of this one as more of a how to act than not all men are trash.

1 Like

I agree with Adam

16 Likes
8 Likes

So if I read this right, Trump (and the right wing nuts) would like to make it so it is up to your employer whether you can get birth control, and then up to the pharmacist whether you can fill a prescription. I suspect there is no way to limit this to ā€œjustā€ birth control. What happens when your Jehovah Witness boss wonā€™t approve blood transfusion for your surgery? Or your antivaxx employer wants to limit your access to vaccines for your child? Itā€™s all on ā€œmoral and religiousā€ grounds, after all. Another excellent argument for severing the link between insurance and employment.

13 Likes

And of taking a really close and skeptical look at various religious and moral medical exemptions.

9 Likes

Not exactly the same situatuon, but closely related:

Mercy San Juan deemed a hysterectomy for a transgender patient a form of sterilization, and that wasnā€™t a procedure the hospital could perform because itā€™s a Catholic institution. The hospital does permit hysterectomies for others, however. Dr. Lindsey Dawson, Mintonā€™s physician, says that she has performed the procedure at Mercy San Juan before, and that the hospitalā€™s decision to cancel the surgery is discriminatory.

https://www.bitchmedia.org/article/catholic-hospitals-transgender-patients-discrimination

12 Likes

And then thereā€™s thisā€¦

9 Likes

To be honest, I donā€™t think it will get that far, mainly because groups like Christians Scientists or Jehovahā€™s witnesses just donā€™t have that much cultural capital to throw aroundā€¦ the anti-vaxxer movement encompasses a larger group of people, so thatā€™s more likely.

But the real goal of the assault on birth control and abortion is to control women (and as that other link shows, trans people as well). Itā€™s less likely that things that impede on the medical and bodily autonomy of men is going to come up for debate. It might well, but Iā€™d argue itā€™s far less likely.

8 Likes

Oh, I agree. My only point is that this need to control other people tends to persist after whatever the current goal is achieved. Once women are under control (:face_vomiting:) they move onto whatever the next ā€œsubstandardā€ group in need of controlling. And once the law is settled, it stops being about cultural capital, but about real capital. If you have the money to hire the lawyers to push an issue, it can rapidly become ā€œhow can you let the conservative Xtians discriminate against women and not allow me to discriminate against (insert oppressed group of choice here). It is all about religious and moral free-dumb after all!ā€

5 Likes

This:

ties nicely in with this:

13 Likes

The first woman in the 190 year history of the newspaper.

9 Likes

Yeah, there were a lot of really stupid and really obviously misogynistic reactions to Rey. Plus all the whining about having a black ex-stormtrooper as one of the good guys. Plus the people who were so freaking mad about General Hux and the First Order overall having a really strong alt-right, neo-Nazi vibe.

Iā€™m a Star Wars fan myself, but I could do without a good chunk of the fandom.

3 Likes

The usual ā€œtaken out of contextā€ excuses, but, seriously?

10 Likes
12 Likes

Now Iā€™m worried that Iā€™ve gotten so used to period pain, Iā€™ll dismiss it if I ever have a heart attackā€¦ :worried:

Although Iā€™ve only had period pain so bad I was on the floor a couple of timesā€¦ if I donā€™t take ibuprofen, it can get pretty intense, though. And my sister did have endometriosis and was put on birth control at a young age for itā€¦

10 Likes

Actually, I wonder if that is not a factor in the delay of recognition of MIs in women. (Pediatricians donā€™t deal with MIs as a rule, so that really is a question. I have no idea.)

8 Likes

If you donā€™t want to click on the link, they were using the evidence taken due to the rape as an excuse to make the 14-year-olds compare chromosome reports.

4 Likes

Now that I am used to the kidney stone pain I wonder what thing I will dismiss that I really should pay attention to cause it isnā€™t as bad.

9 Likes

Ouch, sorry to hear that. Donā€™t they ultrasound those things away?

3 Likes