A thread of our own- misogyny (Part 1)

“Who killed Ingrid Escamilla?” read a headline on a column in El Universal newspaper written by Alejandro Hope, a political science professor. “A violent and machismo culture killed Ingrid, our indifference killed her, our failure to demand that things change killed her.”

This is one of the things I openly express while living here, and everyone looks at me like the crazy gringo who doesn’t know what he’s talking about.

ETA:

Just because things have been done a certain way for years doesn’t mean it’s moral, right, or just.

12 Likes

Thread:

8 Likes
11 Likes

Wow, this is a new one on me. We had paid volunteers when we learned to do pelvics. Every bit as awkward as you would guess, but I suspect much more realistic. The idea of doing this to an unconscious and unsuspecting woman is way beyond the pale.

9 Likes

It’s actually a fairly common, longstanding practice.

Good that your med school didn’t do it. Unfortunately, there are plenty that still do.

9 Likes

One huge advantage (in retrospect) of training at WVU was the lack of fellows for the most part and relatively small residency programs. Lead to lots of patient contact and hands on experience. I have seen residents from bigger programs who know a lot of stuff, but have never actually touched a patient. Especially in peds, that is a deal breaker.

9 Likes

This and the replies:

14 Likes

A friend of mine was the ONLY woman in her rheumatoid arthritis support group of around 40 people whose husband didn’t leave her.

17 Likes

Same thing happens if a child is born with disabilities. >70% divorce rates in patents of Downs kids, specifically.
On a brighter note, 2018 started with my wife dealing with breast cancer, biltral mastectomy and reconstruction, then 6 months later I was dealing with colon cancer, surgery, chemo and radiation. We were each other’s support and (other than my dad) all the support we got. Yeah, its a “not all spouses” kind of thing, but it does happen.

20 Likes

I’m terribly sorry, and thank you for defying the statistics.

17 Likes

You’re making me wonder if we should start a C-Club thread in Wrath, just so that if someone has questions – maybe they’ve just been diagnosed, or a loved one, or they want to vent about treatments or side effects, etc. – there’s a designated place to go. Unfortunately there are enough of us here who qualify already…with Xeni as our patron saint, no less.

13 Likes

I like that idea. I had no one to talk to, esp as I had a pretty new procedure with precious little data to be found.

ETA I could so easily see that falling under “Fuck Today, for cancer”

14 Likes

Gotta protect the menz!! The evil lib-fems are coming!

16 Likes

And more of same:

13 Likes

Was about to post something about that… Jezebel’s take:

12 Likes
10 Likes
10 Likes

Another incel.

9 Likes

Their justification is simple: the work that the players do is not equal. “Plaintiffs and the MNT players do not perform equal work requiring equal skill, effort, and responsibility under similar working conditions,” the motion reads, therefore “any pay differential is based on factors other than sex.”

Maybe the US Women’s team should be paid more than the Men’s team, since they actually win tournaments that matter.

20 Likes

70sshow-kelso-burn

It’s funny cause it’s true…

13 Likes