16 Likes

Just another day ending in ā€˜yā€™, then. :disappointed:

6 Likes
18 Likes

giphy-3

12 Likes

Thread -

13 Likes

Why do I get the feeling that the value of the fetusā€™ life far outweighed hers, and thus she was taken halfway across the country away from her family and tribe, put on a ventilator so she couldnā€™t know what was going on and fight back, and immediately given a C-section 4 days before she was even diagnosed with covid-19?

17 Likes

broadchurch-sad|nullxnull

13 Likes

Didnā€™t you know? Women are just shells for babies. You get a baby in there then break the shell and throw away the woman.

12 Likes

Thatā€™s a shockingly accurate summation of the plot of the handmaids taleā€¦

14 Likes

And of course, once the babyā€™s born, the Republican party couldnā€™t care less about its well-being. To them, the right to life starts at conception and ends at birth.

9 Likes

Follow up ā€“ at least the story has been publicly noted and condemned by Democratic senators:

11 Likes

Anyone else feeling ambivalent about this ā€œKaren and the n-wordā€ thing?

I mean, if thereā€™s a white Male equivalent to it, I doubt it would receive quite the same kind and level of hateā€¦

10 Likes

Yeah, that seems like a bullshit comparision, to be honest.

ā€œKarenā€, in this context, is a snarky insult for a particular sort of an entitled and obnoxious, usually middle-aged, white woman. Saying itā€™s equivalent or stronger than the ā€œn-wordā€ seems like obvious, and obnoxious, nonsense to me, and saying itā€™s a tool of misogynistic oppression looks equally nonsensical.

That whole tweet comes off as ā€œDonā€™t call me mean names when Iā€™m being obnoxiousā€ wrapped up in ā€œwokeā€ language, to try and make snarking at self-centered entitled women an anathema to socially concious young people.

(Edit: Damn, Iā€™m overusing ā€œobnoxiousā€ hereā€¦)

15 Likes

21 Likes

Iā€™m not ambivalent about it at all: I recognize it as the latest version of #alllivesmatter and thus find it offensive and wrong.

12 Likes

A snarky insult to middle aged women, assumed to be of a certain socioeconomic class isnā€™t an ageist, classist insult? It feels like names have become insults because the actual insults arenā€™t codeable as jokes or snark.
As for ā€œnot using one wordā€ if anyone wrote that word here, even in the context of a discussion of insults, they would be complained about. Itā€™s much harder to call for an erasure of a common name than for a specific word not used except as an insult.

1 Like

I think the whole ā€œKarenā€ phenomenon is meant to call out a set of behaviors exhibited by privileged individualsā€¦ but it is a kind of sloppy taxonomy, and it does have sexist and classist overtones. So Iā€™m not sure how useful the terminology really is.

(Itā€™s funny-- I was on a YouTube livestream a few days ago where someone wondered if it was possible to ā€œweaponizeā€ ā€œKarensā€ for good. If the people with privilege actually used their abilities for positive reasons, to call out injustices instead of supporting them, their strategy could make a big difference in the world. I should note that the discussion was tongue-in-cheek, and I canā€™t point you at it because the stream wasnā€™t archived. But itā€™s food for thought.)

8 Likes

I saw this out there.

11 Likes

Okay, thatā€™s the (obvious) racist part, but Iā€™m talking about a sort of countervailing sexist part.

Yep, thatā€™s a pretty good summary of the ā€œambivalenceā€ I initially mentioned.

Right? Sexist, racist bros gonna sexist, racist bro, and appropriate accordingly.

9 Likes