A thread of our own- misogyny (Part 1)

Sure Becky.

white-tears-celebrating

7 Likes

Oracle faces claims of unequal pay from 4,000+ women after judge upgrades gender gap lawsuit to class action

A lawsuit filed against Oracle on behalf of six women seeking to be paid as much as their male colleagues has been certified as a class action – a legal milestone that will allow thousands of women a chance to have their gender discrimination claims heard.

7 Likes

Under previous federal Title IX guidance, sexual harassment was defined as “unwelcome conduct of a sexual nature.” The new rules set a stricter standard, defining it as “unwelcome conduct that a reasonable person would determine is so severe, pervasive and objectively offensive that it denies a person access to the school’s education program or activity.”

13 Likes

Being raped doesn’t ‘deny’ the victim access to an educational program, so it’s A-OK now.

14 Likes

And rape isn’t “objectively” offensive when the rapist likes it, amirite??

/s :angry:

8 Likes

The epitome of the ‘reasonable person’ referred to above, naturally.

8 Likes
25 Likes

The closest I can think of is Chad. Both are entitled and obnoxious, but it doesn’t quite fit. I’ve known some men who were bigger Karens than actual women (who may or may not have been named Karen) but there’s no word for this phenomenon.

At first, I was pretty sure whoever wrote this tweet knows that “Karen” isn’t nearly as bad as a word I won’t actually write here. But on closer inspection, maybe not:

1. Dear millennials? Millennials aren’t the only ones using that word, so why call them out specifically? It’s odd.
  2. Racist against white women? It’s impossible to be racist against someone who is the dominant race both in terms of population and power, full stop. Prejudiced, yes, but not racist.
  3. They obviously have never bothered to learn the history of the n word, and have had the very privileged position of not being bothered to know or care. They just think it’s a word that mildly offends some people. And to say Karen is worse :interrobang: where the fuck do they get off saying that? This is all without mentioning that one of these words is called the n word because it’s considered too offensive to even use in passing!

This is a hollow imitation of “woke” language by someone vaguely aware that such a thing exists.

There might be a case that we shouldn’t use “Karen” as an insult, but this isn’t it.

This may be it.

It may be time for “Karen” to die off.

But to say it’s “racist” and worse than the n word? Please.

6 Likes

Well, it does capture a certain…type.

your typical Karen is likely Republican and upper middle class, definitely a mom, maybe divorced and might even be an anti-vaxxer—which means that they’re creating little typhoid bombs and sending them to schools and churches and soccer practices. And, As Vox’s Aja Romano explained, “ the chief way she manifests her class consciousness is not by, say, being a patron of the arts, but by being aggressively rude to the help .”

8 Likes

Just came across this post and went over to YouTube ti check her out. Very interesting. :thinking:

2 Likes

I now have mixed feelings about ContraPoints; she’s had some issues within the LGTBQ+ community…

2 Likes

Just starting watching, Time will tell. :hugs:

2 Likes

Referring back up to my Hollywood Squares post.
I have now also been binging on Match Game. The wife and the mother in law punchlines do get old and jeebus Gene Rayburn was a handsy mofo. Also the ‘tradition’ of Gene giving a smooch to all new lady celebs is fucking creepy as hell to my older eyes.

11 Likes
14 Likes

Alahmnat_012

11 Likes

Thread:

Especially:

12 Likes

Yeah, that attempted takedown of Farrow’s work isn’t going well. Good overview here.

8 Likes

Shut up, Matt.

11 Likes

9 Likes
16 Likes