A thread of our own- misogyny (Part 1)

Saw a brutally effective response the “just a joke” thing recently. Paste on a clueless face and say “I don’t get it.” Then just keep at them, to get them to explain why the “joke” is funny. Not confrontational, just quietly eviscerating.

20 Likes

Brilliant! Probably doubly effective if the “joke teller” is a dude and the “I don’t get it” is a lady!

13 Likes

I used to try this with the guys at work who just loved those morning radio shows where the goal seems to be “make someone cry on air as thousands listen in.” I would ask “why is that funny?” And all I ever got were blank stares. Dead trout level blank stares. They couldn’t even begin to look at the situation enough to see what was wrong.

7 Likes
16 Likes

Holy shit, that is sickening.

17 Likes

and totally unsurprising coming from Rogan too. He’s a misogynistic piece of shit…

12 Likes

Too true. Kudos to Bill Burr for countering his coronavirus crap, too.

12 Likes

Bill Burr? Doesn’t he favor transphobic “humor”?

6 Likes

I wouldn’t be surprised. It would go along with what I got turned off by a long time ago, the super-sweary macho bragging bullshit he spews about how much he drinks. The two of them sitting there in that video sucking on cigars like some pathetic homage to Limbaugh doesn’t help either.

8 Likes

Alcoholic and a smoker. Well, I guess I won’t have to worry about him forever.

6 Likes

TBH, until that post I hadn’t seen anything of his since Paula Deen’s racist comments went public. He seemed to be a contrarian who pushed back against the folks who said her career was over. At the time, he accurately predicted she (and others in the media who committed offenses that were made public) would be treated like hockey players. They would spend some time in the penalty box, and then go right back into the game.

7 Likes

This thread:

Yes, it happens to men, too, sometimes, but more often to women. Men get a wider latitude. And, yes, women doctors can be just as bad.

15 Likes

From my personal experience, compared to that of some of my female friends, I can vouch that men definitely have it easier. I really should lose some weight, for genuine medical reasons, but I have never been shamed for it by a doctor, or had my other complaints dismissed or seen as just part of being fat, unlike those friends of mine. It’s an insidious thing, too, since as a man, of course I don’t see the bad treatment women get, and if I didn’t have friends who had talked about it, I would be quite unaware of it, and maybe dismiss things as anecdotal or exaggerations when I read about it online.

3 Likes

“ Guillod, who was booked into Santa Barbara County Jail, faces 21 years to life in prison if convicted of the 11 felony charges, which include kidnap to commit rape, rape of an unconscious person, and rape of a drugged victim.”

“After Barth went public, Guillod stepped down as co–chief executive of Primary Wave Entertainment, a talent agency.

Guillod also served as a producer on Atomic Blonde , the 2017 film starring Charlize Theron and James McAvoy, as well as the 2020 Netflix film Extraction.

8 Likes
22 Likes

:thread:

12 Likes

Wat? When I think of urban fantasy, I tend to think “a genre dominated by woman authors”.

5 Likes
5 Likes

This whole account is pretty cool

6 Likes

“Prince Andrew stepped away from royal duties last year.
Asked about the prince on Thursday, acting Attorney Strauss said: “I am not going to comment on anyone’s status in this investigation but I will say that we would welcome Prince Andrew coming in to talk with us, we would like to have the benefit of his statement.”

Perhaps I’m not completely opposed to extraordinary rendition after all.

10 Likes