A thread of our own- misogyny (Part 1)

This is the quoted (now deleted) tweet in question:

The replies were doctors both men and women who felt that getting consent each time a patient got examined is too much work.

This also hits trans people hard. A lot of doctors hit a spectrum between morbid curiosity and outright fucking cruel.

19 Likes

Seriously, we have to get written consent for pretty much any procedure we do. Why would this be any different? I have no idea, actually, because it certainly should not be.

19 Likes

It was tragic to hear about Ghislaine Maxwellā€™s suicide next week.

3 Likes

Letā€™s hope they make breakaway sheets and belts for her cell and a 24/7 independent watch on her cell.

Some people should be shitting themselves- good!

13 Likes

Of course someone did. This is an insult on so many levels.

They have to be White people, too. No one else would even think it.

11 Likes

Actual jaw dropped here.

And whatā€™s weird is, I saw the photo first, and assumed it was a cool gender-fluid cake from expectant parents who were having fun with a ā€œwe donā€™t know, and we donā€™t careā€ attitude.

12 Likes

https://japantoday.com/category/national/japanese-women-feeling-pressured-by-image-of-perfect-mama-study?

LONDON

Japanese media are creating idealized images of working mothers that women may find off-putting and hard to emulate in real life, according to new research from Cambridge University.

The rise of the new motherhood identity could ironically be causing women to delay starting families as they feel intimidated by the portrayals in magazines, according to the research in a new book launched this week.

8 Likes

I assumed it was a cake for a female police officer, but no, it says bows or badges.

5 Likes

Or, just maybe, theyā€™re correctly assessing how overwhelmed by the actual experience they would be, and how little respect or help they would get.

10 Likes

Adding insult to injury, too. Seeing that specific badge on the cake reminded me of PA state trooper issues:

7 Likes

Iā€™m not entirely sure this goes here, so Iā€™ll delete it if requested.

But this is probably the most ridiculous thing Iā€™ll see today, or even this week:

The quoted person decided to erase hundreds, thousands of years of women authors just to fabricate an ideological point. That sounds pretty misogynistic to me.

In fact, according to one of the many, many replies that rightfully, beautifully rip this idiotic tweet to shreds, the book considered to be the first novel was written by a womanā€“ Murasaki Shikibu. (I just learned that today.)

Yes, read the comments. In fact, thereā€™s multiple threads taking the ignorant to task on this issue. :smiling_imp:

24 Likes

Mary Shelly, the mother of Sci-Fi, says fuck all the way off.

And Dr. Maya Angelou and Alice Walker have some thoughts as wellā€¦

25 Likes

Not to mention Sappho of ancient Greece, the Bronte sisters, George Eliot, Jane Austen, Agatha Christie, Harper Lee, Ursula Le Guin, Andre Norton, C. J. Cherryh, Diana Wynne Jones, Lucy Maud Montgomery, Octavia Butlerā€¦

The comments make one heck of a reading list, though Iā€™d read many of the authors listed already.

21 Likes

Thereā€™s a great tweet in reply in that thread, that says:

"Sappho called Hypatia, and they have some questions for you..."

21 Likes

Jane Austen, Louisa May Alcott, Laura Ingalls Wilder, Emily Dickinson, Jane Addams, Daphne du Maurier, Kate Chopin, Edith Whartonā€¦

(Only one duplicateā€¦Austen)

19 Likes

Harper Lee, Madeline Lā€™engle, Zora Neale Hurtson, Toni Morrisonā€¦

17 Likes

Thank you for Zora Neale Hurstonā€¦I was trying to get her name written correctly!

13 Likes

Iā€™m the wrong person to ask this, because Iā€™ve been a reader since age two (and worked many years in bookstores.) But honestly, how do you get through school without reading a book by at least one woman author?

And even if they were making the (wrong) argument that few women authors had such notoriety before JK-- thatā€™s foolish too. Jacqueline Suzann made a big splash in the 60s with Valley of the Dolls. Then thereā€™s Jackie Collins, who did the late-night talk show circuit in the days of Johnny Carson.

I just canā€™t understand how anyone could be so short-sightedā€¦ unless, of course, theyā€™ve chosen to be.

21 Likes

winona-thats-good-point

15 Likes

I used to flub it up all the time when I was younger.

Erica Jong.

11 Likes