A thread of our own- misogyny (Part 1)

Simone de Beauvoir. Willa Cather. Emily Dickinson. Annie Proulx. Annie Dillard. George Elliot (Mary Ann Evans). Julian of Norwich. Catherine of Siena. Christine de Pizan. Marie de France. Mary Sidney Herbert. Elizabeth Barrett Browning. Dorothy Parker. Amy Lowell. Elizabeth Bishop. Dorothy L Sayers. I could keep going…

16 Likes

As always the erasure of some women is in the service of the erasure of all women.

17 Likes

Anybody throw in Ursula K. LeGuin? Sci-fi must be heard!

16 Likes

Virginia Woolf published Orlando in 1928.

15 Likes

Or Anne McCaffrey, as someone who spent many lovely hours on Pern.

15 Likes

Margaret Cavendish wrote The Blazing World in 1666; it’s often called the first science fiction novel.

16 Likes

Did we get Anais Nin?

17 Likes

Patricia Fucking Highsmith

18 Likes

“ Christopher Mason, a TV host and journalist who has known Maxwell since the 1980s, has said he was told that Epstein rigged his multiple homes with camerasand kept surveillance tapes of everyone and everything that went on in them.

Mason said she has access to the potentially compromising tapes.

And now, Maxwell’s former pal told the Daily Mail that she will use those recordings as a way to beat the rap.

“Ghislaine has always been as cunning as they come. She wasn’t going to be with Epstein all those years and not have some insurance,” the ex-friend told the news outlet.

“The secret stash of sex tapes I believe Ghislaine has squirreled away could end up being her get-out-of-jail card if the authorities are willing to trade. She has copies of everything Epstein had. They could implicate some twisted movers and shakers,” the former friend said.

“If Ghislaine goes down, she’s going to take the whole damn lot of them with her.””

If only. Someone will probably be paid to shiv her in prison before that happens.

17 Likes

Fingers crossed but NY Post, so… :face_with_monocle:

11 Likes

Isn’t she expecting that they do something to free her, so she doesn’t need to show the tapes to anyone?

I always thought that this kind of people usually told those that could be incriminated by the evidence that if something happened to them, they evidence would be leaked, like a mutual assured destruction.
But, since nothing was ever leaked and reported, it is probably not so common.

1 Like

Or thinking that she can cut a deal as an informant. But what incentive would Donnie’s justice dept have for that? Unless they want to selectively prosecute and leave himself or his allies alone.

6 Likes
9 Likes

https://twitter.com/celia_bedelia/status/1280872817425342465

17 Likes

So much for caring about precedent…

Assholes.

17 Likes

If you’re a faith based group you shouldn’t receive government funds. And if you do - you give onto Rome when they pay your bills.

16 Likes

Indeed. But too many faith-based groups aren’t keen on actually living by the beliefs they espouse, they just want to use it as a system of control. But you know that, of course. We all do.

18 Likes

And (of course) profit.

Which I suppose control leads to.

14 Likes

I’d say yes? But also, it can be argued that these sorts of disenfranchisement can works at cross-purposes with a profit motive. I assume that the birth control industry is pretty profitable for someone, but cutting off access leads to more children, and less women participating in the work force (for some part of their working lives, though that’s less true for working class women). So, greater emphasis on men working, but having greater control over women’s lives, by making them dependent on men for economic support.

13 Likes

Yep. Nostalgia for the (whitened) 1950s all the way down, really.

11 Likes