A thread of our own- misogyny (Part 1)

12 Likes

Iā€™m glad that the victim was able to get away, and that the traffickers were caught. Hereā€™s more on raising awareness and organizations offering help:

16 Likes
11 Likes

Misogyny, white privilege, erasureā€¦

Another perspective:

13 Likes

Naomi Wu was also a victim of Vice magazine, an outlet co-founded by far-right garbage opportunist Gavin McInnes which has screwed over and misrepresented so many sources it belongs in the spam folder with the other tabloids.

12 Likes
9 Likes

True. What was Trumpā€™s nickname for him, Sleepy Joe?

Whatever it was, seems like it hasnā€™t stuck.

9 Likes

Something like ā€œhe who kicks my ass?ā€

8 Likes

Yah, one of the things 2020 is showing is how freaking much misogyny there was swirling around Hillary Clinton in 2016.

16 Likes

I guess some of us saw that in 2016, too. We just got told it was all in our headsā€¦

20 Likes

Id say 2016 made me realize that the prof who lectured my class on how the harassment and discrimination we were facing at University was only fair (no one asked he just brought it up unfortunately pre cell phone camera days) because back in the seventies women got too uppity wasnā€™t some rare thing or one offā€¦ It was the norm at every level of society. Ehh of course I guess I knew that by 2016, but maybe it did make me realize that this is true even among powerful elites in the US. Which is really only depressing for literally any other women.

14 Likes

Itā€™s also infuriating when a problem so common and pervasive is willfully ignored or treated as unimportant. That is the worst response (and tactic) when so much evidence of discrimination, harassment, and violence is presented in an attempt to stop it. The uprisings this year have given me some hope that more positive social and legal changes for women will occur in my lifetime.

Weā€™re finally seeing action from those who have previously shown unwillingness to acknowledge that attacks stemming from injustice or inequality:

1. occur at all and/or involve more people than they previously believed
  2. are as bad as those targeted say they are
  3. happen often
  4. are committed by those who donā€™t always fit their preconceived ideas of bad, intolerant, abusive, violent, or greedy people
  5. those targeted donā€™t always fit their preconceived ideas about victims

I listen to this when thinking about those who continue to stick their head in the sand:

15 Likes

Top Ubisoft execs eject after staff complain of ā€˜toxicā€™ workplace environment for women at Canadian studios

Three senior Ubisoft execs quit over the weekend amid claims of widespread sexual harassment within the video-game giantā€™s Canadian wing.

8 Likes
13 Likes

ISTR when Jeri Ryan was cast, people kept focusing on her as a model, and not an actress. They were (of course) wrong.

A good example (beyond Trek) for me is Leverageā€™s ā€œThe Lost Heir Jobā€. If you havenā€™t seen it, you need to watch it twice to catch it.

Basically, her character seems to be this innocent, idealistic lawyer, right up until the end twist. Seems to be, because sheā€™s conning the best crew in America and their client, at the same time ā€“ they think she works for the client, the client thinks she works for them. First time through (if you didnā€™t spoil yourself) you never see it. But once you know, if youā€™re looking for it, you can see that this isnā€™t a case of the actor being kept in the dark. Yet thereā€™s nothing obvious until you know why sheā€™s doing it not just what sheā€™s doing. Only then can you see the little tells. Good writing and direction only gets you so far, for a role like that.

9 Likes

Yes and no. For the time it wes made it was quite progressive and a nice representation of what we could be as humans. With an eye from modern day yes it has some stuff that is problematic but such is true for all media from the past. I am sure our descendants 50 years from now will see TV and Movies from our time and cringe at some the uncaring things we put in them.

7 Likes

To be fair, I think the article makes a pretty good case that it was problematic (notably TNG, DS9, Voyager) at the time, especially in the way the actors who were women were treated. Does not dim my love of ST one iota, but the treatment of the TNG women was pretty problematic at the time.

13 Likes

Sadly I didnā€™t watch much of TNG at the time. I was usually out and about for the evening with friends for a lot of the TV of that time.
With my college time happening in the late 80ā€™s and early 90ā€™s between studying, gaming, and having a social life TV shows even ones I loved like Brisco County Jr. were not a priority.

5 Likes

Itā€™s a good series! But they are right about how after Crosby left the show, Troi and Crusher were in the carer positionsā€¦ they improved over time, like in one episode, Troi gets altered to look like a Romulan and infiltrate a Romulan shipā€¦ It strikes me, though, that they left out talking about the replacement doctor they had for the second season, Dr. Pulaski, who was a much more terse character than Crusher wasā€¦ :thinking: Seems an oversight to meā€¦

But if youā€™re going to go back and watch an old Trek series that you missed, Deep Space Nine is the one. It remains my favorite Star Trek series of all time.

8 Likes

IMO, they made almost every woman on those shows into a carer at some point. Spoilers ahead:

DS9 - Kira carries the Oā€™Brien baby
Enterprise - Tā€™Pol in various timelines - takes care of Archer, his dog, Trip - of course, they made her a Vulcan with emotional control problems :roll_eyes:
Voyager - Kes was like everyoneā€™s counselor, plus head gardener taking care of all the plants
Voyager - Remember when Seven had to watch all those Borg kids?
Voyager - Captain Janeway and her chats with Harry Kim, when Bā€™lannaā€™s mother died, etc. I wish theyā€™d kept her more aloof - like Picard - but nope.

7 Likes