A thread of our own- misogyny (Part 1)

I agree with all that, for sure.

Also, the last season of DS9 with too much of a focus on Kira’s relationship with Odo. Can we get back to dealing with PTSD and the complexities of the occupation and resistance please? And she became much more religious, too, but then again, so did Sisko!

Oh! Although in Voyager, Torres was pretty tough, starting the series as a member of teh Maquis, they ended up doing a whole thing about marriage and family with her and Tom Paris.

I guess I don’t mind carer roles, I just wish that men played them as much. I suppose Discovery has done a bit better with that, exploring the relationship between Stamets and Culber… I’d say Culber is a carer, not just because he’s the doctor, but also due to his relationship with Stamets.

5 Likes

I don’t know what we’re talking about, but spoiler text is fun. Even if it weren’t spoilered I’d still probably not know what you’re talking about, but seeing walls of spoiler text only makes it more intriguing to me. I have nothing to contribute to this, but I just want to add to the spoiler text party.

5 Likes

True, it always seems to be a single episode kind of thing, like for them it’s a new experience. That led to a lot of characters that were never heard from again. Remember Worf and Jeremy Astor going through that Klingon bonding ritual (where the glue must’ve been pretty weak)? There was Picard parenting that kid Jono - until he gave him back to his father. Riker plays fake holo father to Ethan/Jean-Luc on that planet, brings the alien back to the ship and the audience still never sees him again!

I’m hoping that they continue to do better with Discovery and Picard. Anything that doesn’t have Berman involved will probably be an improvement. Still, Seven’s initial motivation in the new series fell into the same old trope. They need more women on the writing staff.

8 Likes

You’re testing them wrong: Whiteboard coding interviews are ‘anti-women psychological stress examinations’

6 Likes
7 Likes

I’m actively interviewing for a software engineer right now, and my company puts an absurd amount of effort into finding the right candidates (by industry standards, obviously it’s better for everyone to ensure we hire some one who can do the job and will enjoy it enough to stay with the company). This is probably as timely and helpful a piece of information that the internet is going to give me in 2020. Thank you!

5 Likes
17 Likes

I admit, I had also assumed that catcalling would mostly disappear in this pandemic, but apparently I was wrong:

13 Likes

I’m never that optimistic. I figured some harassment would be reduced, due to lack of opportunity (less people were on the streets during lockdown, more people were working from home, etc.). Of course, it made things worse for people trapped at home with the ones doing the harassing, too.

15 Likes

Regardless of the misogyny, I was intrigued enough to pony up a couple bucks and give it a read. I shall report back.

4 Likes
13 Likes

Bacardi has come out with a new alcohol line. See if you can figure out who their target audience is:

12 Likes

Ugh… having flashbacks to wine coolers in the early 90s.
Also the wash of pink lighting on everything on the website is reminiscent of the feminine hygiene product ads of the same era.

13 Likes
16 Likes
17 Likes

Just that name alone:

12 Likes

I’d be tempted to try it, since vodka’s my hard liquor of choice… but that marketing isn’t appealing to me. I think it would’ve sounded better without all the ultra-feminine stereotyping.

8 Likes

Maybe they could sell marketing campaign (not the recipe) to Prestige Brands for Summer’s Eve products. /s

4 Likes

There’s this, and then there is the stuff marketed to men. All BEER WHISKEY BACON CIGAR SMOKE AXLE GREASE TESTOSTERONE YEAAAAAAHHHHHH! Where can I go to get just plain alcohol that tastes like alcohol?

6 Likes

9 Likes