A thread of our own- misogyny (Part 1)

The problem isn’t his age. Plenty of men in their 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, etc are abusive towards women. It’s a misogyny thing, not an age thing.

16 Likes

Thanks for setting me straight on that - I was thinking more of how all too many religious movements are themselves misogynistic.

3 Likes

Oh, you’re not wrong at all about some religious movements being misogynistic… Not all of them were, though. There was some pretty legit egalitarian religious movements in the 18th and 19th century led by women.

11 Likes

So many layers of gross surrounding this guy. It’s amazing that people once paid money to see his naked body (yeah, I know his face wasn’t the draw but still…)

Even that face mask doesn’t want anything to do with him. He looks like Hannibal Lecter’s much-creepier uncle.

12 Likes

Pitt the younger became PM at the age of 24.

11 Likes

23 Likes

Damn, that dude was dumb…

10 Likes

And yet nevertheless, also well endowed with a surplus of (all too common male) confidence.

11 Likes

Points to Mariah. Good reply!

13 Likes

15 Likes

Yeah, my husband says “straight guy cancer” pretty much describes mansplaining.

(For his sake, I should add that this was my feeble attempt at a joke. In reality, he just laughed when I showed him @milliefink’s post; he didn’t editorialize.)

10 Likes
7 Likes

21 Likes

Even suggesting they read stories with female protagonists gets a lot of pushback. “Boys won’t read stories about girls!” is a common comment in publishing.

11 Likes

I can see a few reasons for this. It might foster empathy - which is not something a bully or predator would want. Also, if they only view women in a negative way, they won’t want to emulate that. Finally, imagining being on the receiving end of their own behavior makes it harder for some to maintain the denial about their own actions (or the actions of other men that they know):

https://www.rainn.org/statistics/victims-sexual-violence

15 Likes

I suspect this is behind a lot of resistance to equality. They cannot imagine minorities being treated as well as they are, only that they will be treated as badly as the minorities always have. And that would be terrifying to them.

16 Likes

I doubt they really understand how much work this alone causes the rest of us. To be in the position of greater strength and power means not having to bother to learn about anyone else - to understand their needs, motivations, or wants. Everything is about them by default, so the rest of us have to learn those things about them in the name of self-defense and preservation. Doing that all our lives, on top of maintaining interests and goals of our own, is why we are so :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: tired. They have no idea, and worse than that, most don’t want to know.

18 Likes

16 Likes

and because so few can imagine a group offering forgiveness since it would not occur to them to offer it if the positions were reversed and because to truly make restitution would be to give up almost everything they had.

10 Likes