A thread of our own- misogyny (Part 1)

Because all he has is an honorary doctorate and he clearly couldn’t handle the thought that she might be academically superior to him. So he pulled her down to his level and then attacked that made up version of her.

12 Likes

Please, please, please, Pete Davidson…take back on your apology and dunk on Crenshaw some more.

5 Likes

I don’t know what it’s like in the US but we idolise MDs here and the thing is, they aren’t real doctors. They’ve a taught degree and an apprenticeship.

Maybe that’s why so many of them are utterly shit at parsing research?

3 Likes

So what counts as a “real” doctor?

Imagine how horrible you have to be in order to be called out for homophobia in 1970!

9 Likes

Doing an actual doctorate. A PhD. Historically physicians were not granted that title.

4 Likes

I can’t really say, either. I think the idea of medical doctors is idolized in some sense, mainly through tv and movies, but the way so much of the country is responding to the MD community’s heartfelt pleas for some basic common sense to alleviate some of the strain due to COVID…
I think a year ago I would’ve had a different answer to this question, and now I think that answer would’ve been very misguided.

3 Likes

I’m just possibly a tiny bit biased by the fact that the loudest pro fascist voice in the media here is a doctor who trades on her being a doctor quite a lot. She made a lot of dumb noises about the pandemic which were utterly at variance with emerging research.

Not had a problem with a real life doctor.
(Deleted long heartwarming and inspiring story about childbirth that I couldn’t do justice to).

1 Like

You should not call yourself a Dr if you weren’t a DJ on radio in the 70’s.

15 Likes

I wish I’d had that umbrella for the last 4 years.

6 Likes

I can’t figure out how to get past the paywall, but this WaPo article ran in our local paper today and it’s so maddening.

Basically: “show me your face, even at personal risk, or you won’t get a tip.”

14 Likes

I’d bet good money this fool never had an issue with any of the characters in the Indiana Jones movies addressing his character as “Dr. Jones” or that the title character of a James Bond movie had a doctorate in nuclear physics.

12 Likes
3 Likes
2 Likes
16 Likes

This editorial thing just keeps getting “better.” Here’s some from the wapo’s response to all the attacks on the Epstein piece, from Paul A. Gigot, the top editor of the opinion section:

There’s nothing like playing the race or gender card to stifle criticism.

he said criticizing Mr. Epstein’s use of “kiddo” to refer to Dr. Biden was misplaced, since Mr. Biden has also used the term in reference to his wife. He compared the Biden staff members’ tweets to those in which President Trump has referred to the press as the “enemy of the people.”

12 Likes

That’s such an idiotic excuse. I call my wife “honey” all the time. That doesn’t mean that it wouldn’t be misogynist for me to address any other woman that way, especially one I didn’t even know. Nor does it mean my wife should have to hear other men address her that way.

22 Likes

Umm, I use terms for my wife that would be inappropriate for others to use, especially publicly, so, no, no cookie for you on that one. And, of course, as per the norm, calling out bigotry is far, far worse (cue clutching of pearls) than the act of bigotry itself. I mean, aren’t SWM’s always the victims here?

24 Likes

That was my first thought, too. I tried to imagine some rando writing about me, calling me the pet name used by my SO, and that being defended. Just can’t even.

In case it needs saying, I am not saying it’s okay. I’m posting the editors’s defense of Epstein, which is itself adding another layer to the shit layer cake of misogyny.

12 Likes

I got that. The editors are every bit as bad as the author.

Because the only way that thousands of people could be simultaneously offended by something published in your paper is if they were secretly coordinating, right?

Back in the day the people who got called out for stuff like this would have blamed coordinated attacks orchestrated by “Communists.” Now they just say “Democrats.”

16 Likes