A thread of our own- misogyny (Part 1)

Wasn’t addressed to you, but to the idiot who thought they were justifying the misogyny. Sorry if it appeared otherwise.

10 Likes

WSJ was just ahead of the curve in being a shitstorm of toxic, unresearched “opinion” from wealthy, SWM “contrarians”. Thing is, as newspapers rely on hate clicks for content they undermine their editorial. I’m told it’s a crisis at WSJ to which: good. They are fucking awful people.

6 Likes

Beau is on top of it

13 Likes

A reminder that the misogyny isn’t exactly being applied very consistently by those on the right.

22 Likes

Dont Say

19 Likes

https://www.bitchmedia.org/article/ijeoma-oluo-mediocre-white-men-review

A fascinating aspect of Mediocre is that Oluo doesn’t conclude her analysis simply by excoriating the most overtly white male supremacist transgressors. She extends her discussion to consider how white male mediocrity and fragility extend into progressive social movements, lambasting “feminist” men who center themselves while refusing accountability for their sexual predation and abuse. She critiques not only the low-hanging fruit of Donald Trump’s authoritarian white male mediocrity but also dives into Joe Biden’s politically expedient racism, Bernie Sanders’s failure to truly incorporate intersectionality into his class-based analysis, and the overt misogyny of some of his “Bros.” Writing about Sanders’s historically meaningful but ultimately failed presidential campaigns, Oluo cautions, “A political movement that focuses on class and ignores the specific ways in which race determines financial health and well-being for people of color in this country will be a movement that maintains white supremacy, because it will not be able to identify or address the specific, race-based systems that are the main causes of inequality for people of color.” Oluo also has a lot to say about her own experiences dealing with the implications of white male supremacy in her personal life.

https://www.powells.com/book/mediocre-9781580059510

16 Likes

I loved Oluo’s interview on The Daily Show, and hope she stays safe:

15 Likes

Thank you, hadn’t seen that!

11 Likes

i frankly can’t wait for our non-white, differently-gendered overlords.

mediocre white men have freely fucked up the world for centuries. see sykes-picot agreement or the berlin west africa conference if you demand evidence of this trend.

15 Likes

Anyone who would do this has been under a rock for the previous several hundred years and has no right to contribute to the conversation.

12 Likes

As a white cisgendered woman… I’m okay with just handing Black trans women the keys to the whole thing and doing whatever they tell me to do.

rupauls-drag-yes-mam

However, is it actually fair to hand over this hot mess we’ve (white Europeans and Americans) made these past few centuries to some of the people least responsible for it? Probably not.

15 Likes

tragically, i have encountered all too many who seem to have been sharing space beneath that same rock. even in this venue. a sizeable plurality (at least) of them seem also to regard themselves as the only reliable arbiters of competence within this context and would dispute the premises of my initial comment.

5 Likes
9 Likes

100% off topic but somehow that gif created an optical illusion for me that made it look like there was a shadow covering the text beneath the right side of it.

3 Likes

That’s very weird…

5 Likes

Go fuck yourself, Tuck.

17 Likes

No such thing on my screen. Maybe your brain needs rebooted? :wink:

7 Likes

It’s almost like Tuck is just BEGGING the internet to look through his writings and find typos or awkward phrasing*.

*I’ve not read Dr. Biden’s dissertation,nor do I even know what it’s about, but I’m assuming that the parts he’s criticizing for being unintelligible are at worst guilty of the sort of academic phrasing that’s necessary in relaying technical information in a specific, formal fashion. I make this assumption based on having read my own dissertation and knowing it’s chock full of language that makes my brain hurt because academic writing’s hard, yo!

17 Likes

That’s what I was thinking. Going out in public and saying, “I read that dissertation, it didn’t even make sense!” is a bizarre self-own from a person who doesn’t have the knowledge to understand a dissertation in that subject and also doesn’t even know that you need knowledge to understand a dissertation.

18 Likes

I should send him a copy of my brother’s PhD dissertation on something about interpretation and signals processing applied to ultrasound examinations. Most of it consisted of mathematical formulas that were so far beyond my comprehension it might as well have been an alien spell book. It might break his brain. Of course, my brother is a SWM, so Ol’ Tuck would probably have no problem with it at all.

17 Likes