A thread of our own- misogyny (Part 1)

Doubly so depending on your field, too. In my field, history, you can get away with a lot less jargon, a somewhat clearer prose. Other social science fields have their own jargon, though, for sure.

12 Likes

Yeah, but it doesn’t seem bizarre considering how well it plays to rubes who think eggheaded egg-spurts are just a bunch of grant-chasing, Marxist con artists.

Carlson is an entertainer (his lawyers even said so in court) who knows very well what gets the satisfied juices going in his audience.

13 Likes

I’m a psychologist (which I originally mistyped as “spychologist” and OMG I need to change my profession now because that sounds so much cooler!) and we can either be pretty straightforward or we can be hyper-technical and insist on very specific and precise definitions of words that either come from or have entered into common usage. My own tended toward the latter and even I lose sight of the subtle meaning of certain terms when I reread it and skip over the parts where I operationalize the definitions for the reader.

I am 100% confident Tucker operates at about a fifth grade reading level. Whether he does so due to lack of ability or a lack of motivation is a completely separate topic, but I’d kind of love for Dr. Biden to offer to school him on the parts of her dissertation that went over his head.

14 Likes

Probably! :grin:

11 Likes

That’s about all his audience can handle from a tv show, what with also yelling at the dog to shut up while trying to keep dinner from sliding off their laps.

(why yes, my extended family does indeed include avid Fox fans)

8 Likes

as someone who has spent 26 years in the field of elementary and secondary education i have encountered remarkably dense texts which, though difficult, were still ultimately readable and important for me to understand. the phenomenon which you have noted generally crops up in contexts requiring a great deal of careful distinction-drawing.

i believe that is less of a self-own and more of an appeal to the instincts of his base who he believes will feel more connected to him if he shares their confusion rather than explicates the difficult material to them.

thigs like that crop up in almost every field which has a highly specialized and technical domain within it. i recently read a collection of articles in the field of electronic music published in 1992 or thereabouts. some of the articles were so technical i had to spend a half hour per paragraph with various resources to understand exactly what was said or implied. i learned a lot in the process, not all of it from the collected papers.

absolutely agreed. see my note about education papers directly above.

you think carlson swanson mcnear tucker might be playing at his ignorance?

and i speculate that he does so deliberately.

perhaps a swanson hungry man dinner.

7 Likes

Aw, you’ve gone to the finest school all right, Miss Lonely
But ya know ya only used to get juiced in it

6 Likes

the song is older than the tuck by 4 years.

of course it could be useful for multitudes before and after.

still, very nice.

3 Likes

He’s such a sad little boy. Always trying to punch hippies because his mommy left him.

6 Likes

unlike john lennon, another sad lad, who was always trying to be a hippy because his mom was taken from him.

6 Likes

This is such a simple song he might have been making it up as he played, but I think that made it more touching

2 Likes
15 Likes

Saw that in my feed earlier while I was working.

6 Likes

There’s a lot of rats still to be trapped associated with this. Squeeze him and Maxwell till they squawk.

15 Likes

Agreed; Epstein didn’t act alone, tons of fuckers enabled him and abetted his crimes.

15 Likes
8 Likes

So here is an interesting case. I feel dirty siding with Uber, but the CPUC demanding victim information without consent from folks who specifically declined to report their assaults seems like breech of something. I am not sure how to feel about it.

Edit 'cause I spell bad

10 Likes

Broken clocks. :man_shrugging:

12 Likes
18 Likes

:nauseated_face: :face_vomiting:

23 Likes