A thread of our own- misogyny (Part 2)

I had thought so, but was surprised when the article suggested otherwise.

Wasn’t that said by Offred to Fred during their meetings in his office?

9 Likes

I think it was an internal monologue during one of those meetings. It jumped out at me at the time that she said she should have known better.

6 Likes

As if it’s an either/or. So often, it’s both.

8 Likes

I’d always thought it was from her discussion with a male friend back in the 80’s:

https://www.pbs.org/kued/nosafeplace/articles/nightmare.html

I guess the article is alluding to French author and philosopher Louis de Bonald, who is credited with saying:

Men fear women who laugh at them. Women fear men who don’t…” which, while similar, isn’t exactly the same thing.

Atwood’s version doesn’t ‘pussyfoot’ around the worst possible outcome for women.

15 Likes

Who gets to compete? Since the beginning of women’s sports, there has been a struggle over who qualifies for the women’s category. Tested follows the unfolding story of elite female runners who have been told they can no longer race as women, because of their biology. As the Olympics approach, they face hard choices: take drugs to lower their natural testosterone levels, give up their sport entirely, or fight. To understand how we got here, we trace the surprising, 100-year history of sex testing.

10 Likes

cross-post from the new economics thread…

8 Likes

I realize that yours is an “old” comment, but I just had to reply with this:
astrodidact

merelygifted

10 Likes

…onto a bed of V sharp coral, covered in sea urchins. Big, angry sea urchins.

5 Likes

18 Likes
8 Likes

WTF?

10 Likes

8 Likes

Cross-post from BLM about women of color in sports being questioned about gender and identity:

10 Likes
16 Likes

From what I’ve read about Tim Walz so far I don’t think he’ll lose any sleep over this.

16 Likes

I don’t think the author is arguing that he should. She’s just emphasising the double standard. That is: Harris shouldn’t have to put up with it either, but she does.

11 Likes

Artist: Yulia Ustinova

Today I asked my body what she needed,
Which is a big deal
Considering my journey of
Not Really Asking That Much.

I thought she might need more water.
Or protein.
Or greens.
Or yoga.
Or supplements.
Or movement.