A thread of our own- misogyny (Part 2)

I find that a bit ironic, the Times of India posting a story on child marriage, when India itself has a problem with child marriage…

:thinking:

9 Likes

I wasn’t sure where to share this:

TLDW: The podcast that has so far been the only outlet to publish the story is super sus and not serious journalism.

HOWEVER three women were interviewed - one who was hired as a nanny and entered into a consensual BDSM relationship with NG and later felt felt so bad about it she attempted suicide, another who was in a consensual relationship but says there was a nonconsensual and painful incident when she had a UTI, and another woman who said they had a consensual BDSM relationship and it was great. All the women were in their 20’s when he was in his 40’s, 50’s, and 60’s respectively.

My opinion after watching this - Obviously the power dynamic is gross, NG seemed to assume a lack of “no” as consent, and he’s into BDSM (which is fine but you need to clearly establish consent first). It doesn’t sound like he’s a rapist but he done bad with at least one of these women and the age difference/power dynamic is disappointing.

9 Likes

I think when this story broke, someone put the link to the podcast over in Fuck Today? I know I posted a link to AV Club about the story there…

But several things sort of haunted these claims, the main being that some said the podcast is run by Boris Johnson’s sister and that it’s been associated with TERs and transphobic content (which I don’t know). Gaiman is a vocal supporter of trans folks… Also, they apparently seemed to blame AFP for all of this as well? Which seems… weird? Why blame the ex wife for her ex husbands behavior (from what I understand, the nanny came to her after they’d already split? but I’m unsure on that).

Either way, he’s not posted on his tumblr since this came out. And apparently, not on his bluesky account either? :woman_shrugging:

But yeah, very disappointing and upsetting.

9 Likes

And the podcast had nothing of his side of the story, although it tried to seem like it did. It was not serious journalism, and presented as a true crime deal, padded out to maximize ad content.

5 Likes

Ugh… sounds awful… did you listen to it? I did not, because… the whole thing is depressing enough… :sob:

4 Likes

No I just watched Vera’s video. She listened to it so we don’t have to!

6 Likes

That’s public service right there! Will check it out later, me thinks!

Thanks!

5 Likes
13 Likes

The Rock Shut Up GIF by WWE

13 Likes

What’s that thing conservatives love to say whenever someone famous has an opinion they don’t like again? ‘Stay in your lane?’ Right, that was it.

Hypocrites…

14 Likes
18 Likes

Watching now…

4 Likes

Never heard of them before now, hope to never hear of them again.

11 Likes
11 Likes
7 Likes

Sadly, I’m not seeing the imbalance of coverage or concern described in this piece. Maybe that’s because coverage of this issue is terrible across the media landscape. As a non-user, I can’t speak for social media, but these atrocities are a common tactic used by soldiers, guards, and armed gangs. However, one would never think that given the scarcity of reports making headline news. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

13 Likes

No entertainer should have their fans targeted like seems to be happening to hers. Seemingly for the fact that they are predominantly girls, women, and their supporters.
(Not just the terror plot but the mass murder at the dance class)
It’s frankly disgusting and quite terrifying.

So many kinds of hate are becoming mainstream again and violently reasserting themselves. Racism in the white race riots (and mainstream parties “hearing the concerns”), violent control of women in conservative hate speech, policies regarding women’s health and freedom, and predatory violence.

13 Likes
12 Likes
13 Likes