A thread of our own- misogyny (Part 2)

10 Likes
4 Likes

Body-shaming is never ok, but especially in this instance, it is just ridiculous. These women are Olympic-level athletes. No body that can do the things that these women do is going to be “normative.” That is just impossible. The complaints about Khalif “hitting too hard,” I mean, she is a world class boxer! Of course she hits hard! Did you see any of the swimming events, especially those featuring Katy Ledecky? She won her races by seconds in a sport where hundredths are the usual deciding margin. Of course, she has also had “we can always tell” bullshit spread about her. This kind of shit is nauseating, and especially infuriating because you never hear this about men. The physically freaky characteristics that make for top level swimmers, marathoners, throwers, they are ok if you are a man. But women “don’t look like that.” I’m not going to carry on this rant, but DAMN IT!!! I am fed up with this misogynistic shit. I do not believe any more that this even is transphobic, it is straight misogyny. (Not that these are exclusive, of course.) The mindset that women must be fragile, thin, waif-like and most of all, dependent, is barf-making and needs to die in a fire.

Cartoons Comics Rage GIF

18 Likes
11 Likes

It was totally innocuous, the usual stunt a baseball team will pull during the dog days of August to gin up some social media attention. And yet, nevertheless, people online (many of them dudes, obviously) lost their damn minds.

The complaints were frequently of a puritanical and/or phony high-brow bent.

9 Likes

I’m by no means a prude, but this was a game with a ton of kids in attendance (something called “Camp Day”). What do you tell kids when they ask why this person is a viral sensation?

7 Likes

“Oh, just grown-up stuff”, the same way people do for everything else they don’t feel their kids are ready to hear about?

8 Likes

An 11 year old who is my kid (they haven’t quite gotten there yet)? Probably “she was interviewed on some TV show and said something about oral sex a lot of people found funny. Mostly men. She leveraged that into a bit of fame as an influencer.”

Age they are now, 7 years, either “eh. She’s Internet famous. I don’t really get it” or “she said something on a tv show about a sex thing and some people thought it was funny. She used that attention and got more popular with Internet videos.”
“No, I’ll explain the sex thing when you’re older.”

Truthfully though- are most kids even going to notice enough to ask? Mine is a curious creature able to sniff out an uncomfortable topic from 12 paces but I’m not sure most kids would notice.

12 Likes

1xmE

7 Likes

Council of Geeks did a follow up… watching it now.

:sob:

8 Likes
10 Likes

https://solarbird.net/blog/2024/08/18/grab-my-pussy-diapers-maxipads-on-ears-and-now-vance-sample-jars/

10 Likes

11 Likes

Warning On Air GIF by Adult Swim

14 Likes

Does he mean a totally normal looking Gen Zer? Cause that’s what I see… a totally normal Gen Zer…

15 Likes

Is this a “transvestgator” thing, or is it just because she is a supporter of LGBTQ rights? I am confused, she looks like most kids who come into my office.

9 Likes

Ella Emhoff the model. I bet they looked thru ever photo of her last night to find the most unflattering one. And that is all they could come up with :roll_eyes: I suppose this one wouldn’t do?

Or any of her professional photos?

Pro photos from: Ella Emhoff Is a Model Second Daughter | Vanity Fair

13 Likes

I think they’re just creeps who hate anyone who doesn’t conform to their narrow expectations

15 Likes

Ahh, that’s it! They are terrified of Gen Z! Especially the young women

Scared Boy Meets World GIF

12 Likes

Right?! And her dad is the most GenX dad! Just finished watching his speech, and if he were several years younger and we attended the same university, we absolutely would’ve been in the same circle of friends - punks, goths and good-weird dorks. :heart_eyes_cat:

10 Likes