A thread of our own- misogyny (Part 1)

I suppose they could have meant gourmet mac from a place like Homeroom:

13 Likes

SMBC Women

Itā€™s a good start I guess. Just hopefully some day they notice that the list of things most women like is actually just the list of things most Homo sapiens like, and make the connection.

21 Likes

Weird, itā€™s almost like women are people! I mean, like, really! How strange. (/s)

13 Likes

Another fairly universal womensā€™ experience, via Twitter:

(Hopefully, this wonā€™t be as controversial as the last oneā€¦)

14 Likes

That explained it SO WELL! Itā€™s so pervasive that I never figured out how to put into words. Like a fish trying to describe water.
Thank you. What is it they say, a burden shared is a burden halved?

13 Likes

Is it just me or is that Tweet gone?

5 Likes

Just you it seems? Although with Brave it takes me a couple of tries.

6 Likes

Andā€¦it only took a few hours for that exact behavior to show up on her thread:

I canā€™t tell if heā€™s joking or not, but Iā€™ll take it for the laugh either way.

Doh, nevermind. Heā€™s serious. What an asshole. Still kind of hilarious, though.

12 Likes

Ah thanks itā€™s back for me now too. Some kinda Twitter fart I guess.

Itā€™s a great thread! Great examples of a subset of Nice Guy behavior, useful term too: ā€œhelpful condescension.ā€ (And BBS is also often full of it, of course.)

13 Likes

And yet so many members here who constantly engage in this behavior canā€™t seem to understand why many women find them and their attempts to be ā€œhelpfulā€ annoying.

14 Likes

Yep. Or if you call it out even a little, even just responding with something like, ā€œyes, I know how renting a cement mixer works, thatā€™s why I mentioned itā€¦ā€ they or some ally jump in all wounded like, ā€œjeez, take it easy!ā€
The responses are one of the weirdest forms of gaslighting I experience. Leaves me thinking

12 Likes

Oh oh, I know-- thereā€™s an elephant in the room!

10 Likes

Iā€™m failing at this constantly. I am doing my best to be conscious of my privilege and improve but I recognize that I still do this. I am sorry. I will continue to try to do better and I appreciate those who call me out on it.

And Gov Cuomo has resigned!!!

18 Likes

13 Likes

Some are saying that he resigned so he didnā€™t have a lifetime ban from office.

11 Likes

Bye bye, asshole.

Animation Dog GIF by UGLY GIFS

12 Likes

By ā€œthisā€ do you mean the recent topic of ā€œhelpful condescensionā€? There are so many options for displaying misogyny (not specifically for you, just in general) that I want to be clear on what you are open to being called out on, if it should occur again. :wink:
And kudos on you for some self introspection. Thank you.

12 Likes

Yes, I was specifically talking about ā€œhelpful condescensionā€. I will sometimes think that I am merely adding to the conversation, but am, in fact, mansplaining or worse. I find it much too easy to get into this defensive back-and-forth. But I would like to be called on any misogyny I display. Thank you.

8 Likes

applause4

12 Likes