A thread of our own- misogyny (Part 1)

charlie brown GIF by Peanuts

14 Likes
14 Likes

Interesting! There was a recent article in NYT about how when title IX first came through 50 years ago, girls’ soccer was a really easy way for schools to comply, so that’s where lots of them started.
And now 50 years later, the US women’s soccer team is a global powerhouse.
That lesson should be applied to everything, not just sports and not just gender.

12 Likes

Funny how that works, huh?

6 Likes

Ugh…

12 Likes

Excellent description of that couple looking like a pair from a Jordan Peele movie. My first thought was closer to Stepford, but the Peele reference better gets the evil intent, classism and racism.
Ugh, indeed. :rage:
There was a really good true crime podcast I had to stop listening to when they shifted to focusing solely on crimes against children and failings of the CPS state by state. These pro-forced-birth fuckers should be required to listen to every episode and learn about what some unwanted kids go through in their short painful lives. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

13 Likes
14 Likes

So much this

To be unequivocally clear, people who oppose fundamental rights to bodily autonomy and health care shouldn’t be allowed within a mile of children, let alone be allowed to raise them. They’re the purveyors of a movement that wants rape victims—including children—to give birth.

13 Likes

There was a story going around about Alito being concerned about the domestic supply of white babies for adoption. Turns out that was not quite true. He didn’t actually write it himself, merely cited a CDC report which had that statement in it.

However, citing that statement is pretty damning on it’s own, IMHO.

16 Likes

Yeah. As if they’re a commodity.

rage GIF

ETA: I can’t find it now, but remember seeing newspapers from the early 1900s where people would pick two or three children to adopt on a trial run, then return all but their favorite. That’s what an “ample supply” gets us. :rage:

16 Likes
17 Likes

Showtime Good Point GIF by Billions

Controlling women is at the core of this.

14 Likes

(In case you’re unfamiliar with this guy, he’s the one who openly admitted conservative pundits were lying about what CRT actually meant.)

Menstruation is a healthy and natural part of life for many of us-- it has nothing to do with sexuality or ideology, it’s just part of growing up for lots of us.

Even so, as a young woman, I was embarrassed to bring my supplies to the counter to purchase them if there was a man behind the cash register. Maybe if there had been more media like this back then, with people being so friendly and open about buying tampons and pads, I wouldn’t have so ashamed. I think it’s nice that talking openly about periods and products is becoming normalized, and it will likely help young women and others as they come of age.

But, as usual, [expletive deleted]s like this gentleman have to throw shame and blame not only on Disney for acknowledging a natural process, they have to insult trans people (one character in the scene is wearing a trans flag t-shirt) and women while they do it… as if what our bodies do is some shameful secret, never to be acknowledged or discussed.

It’s not just one snowflake doing this, either-- I blocked so many people calling Disney “woke” or “groomers” in the Quote Tweets, my browser crashed and I lost count. It scares and saddens me that so many people are so openly hateful and willfully ignorant about a fact of life. It’s both transphobic and misogynistic. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

(Edit to add missed words. Sorry, I was tired when I wrote that.)

19 Likes

21 Likes

It was in 1996 that my wife went to buy a pickup truck and was told that she needed to “come back with her husband if she wanted to talk.” That was an unpleasant day.

22 Likes

Especially for the car dealership, i hope. :angry:

16 Likes

Enraging but not surprising. These assholes want to hide all discussions of menstruation. They claim Disney is sexually grooming kids, any LGBTQ+ books in schools are the same. Then for good measure they toss in any books discussing or attempting to destigmatize menstruation. Control over women and suppression of everyone not cis-het-white.
The ppl pushing the book bans have targeted Go With the Flow by Lilly Williams and Karen Schneeman. Our Graphic Novel Is A Banned Book – Lily Williams

They want us to feel ashamed. I refuse. My kid is 5. She already knows what menstruation is and that, unless she makes certain choices, that menstruating is in her future. She knows there are men who menstruate. There are women who don’t. I mean, she’ll explain it’s a blood pillow in the uterus that gets made about every month just in case an egg is fertilized and comes out the vagina and then vulva when it isn’t needed. But she has an understanding appropriate to her age.

17 Likes

Same thing happened to me in 1993. My friend was visiting us and she wanted to look for a new car. Dude wouldn’t even let us open doors, much less test drive a car without a husband. That day I vowed I’d never buy a car from any dealer at that particular auto mall, and 29 years later I still get angry when I drive nearby. This was Southern California.
:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

20 Likes

nevertheless:

18 Likes

Oh, I hope C gave them blue hell.

They have truly fucked up then, because it’s about to get real fuckin visceral; rather than outdated images of coat hangers, women in peril are about to start posting very graphic documentation of their menstruation, pregnancy, labor and the negative complications that will come of trying to force all who become pregnant to give birth.

15 Likes