A tour of part of Kim Dotcom's mansion, including the panic room where he was arrested

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/03/28/a-tour-of-part-of-kim-dotcom.html

2 Likes

I don’t want to judge people’s kinks, but I’ll never understand what people see in standard white wall paint.

5 Likes

One man’s opulence is another man’s kitsch / money can’t buy taste.

6 Likes

Wasted a lot of money on the panic room then?

It’s kind of futile if there’s not a super secret exit.

11 Likes

I don’t know. It sounds like he got to panic in it for a good half hour.

20 Likes

Upholstery next to a bathtub. What could go wrong?

6 Likes

Assuming that’s the real Dotcom they nabbed, and not one of his clones or LMD’s that he had sitting around his panic room.

7 Likes

Have you ever visited Graceland? Dotcom was a piker.

2 Likes

The design makes it feel like his was living in an “Upscale” mall.

Also, what I love about Panic Rooms is the thought processes that went into them. It’s feels like they think they are living in a bad-ass action movie that I just find hilarious. Especially the fact he was arrested in it makes it all the funnier to me. While I understand I never grew up so to speak I see this sort of thing as the expression of an adult 12 year old.

Edit: I love my roommates take on this video: “God, that house - its like someone gave a 12 year old’s Minecraft mansion a look and said, “Yeah, I should build that in RL””

11 Likes

Even better, blue LED vanity lights surrounding the bathtub with upholstry and carpets around it.
This is clearly a flawless plan.

2 Likes

At 1:36 there’s a curio cabinet near the entrance to the dizzying mirrored closet.

My kids have that toy. It came in a noisemaking kit from Target.

That was an unexpected surprise.

3 Likes

I doubt any of that stuff is from Kim Dotcom. That’s probably realtor staging fluff.

They probably cleaned out everything that wasn’t tied down, to search it for USB sticks or whatnot.

HIs shelves were probably filled with classier stuff, like Spawn action figures still in the package.

5 Likes

My panic room is the toilet, but at least I have one.

7 Likes

I’m not sure I would call this a panic room. It’s a room with a hidden door, for sure, but more like a fun room to play hide and seek. When I hear panic room, I think of the room in the Jodie Foster movie Panic Room: armored steel walls and door, multiple security monitors, separate phone and power, etc.

3 Likes

Look, with the right frame of mind, any room can be a panic room.

13 Likes

An ordinary normal, regular sized closet? Wait, somethings not right here…

3 Likes

It struck me how easily found this one would be: perfectly concealed in a superficial way, but as soon as you sit and think about the spaces it would be obvious there was a huge void and you just have to find the way in.

The crazy part is that what you think is a panic room – a 50 square foot space surrounded by other parts of the bedroom suite, is just a staircase up to whole damned room on another level.

3 Likes

8 Likes

Yeah, like, shouldn’t a hidden panic room have a hidden panic room, dawg?

2 Likes

It’s weird they each had their own designated poles to slide down; I never noticed that before.

2 Likes