A tribute to Korean artist Kim Jung Gi, dead at 47

Originally published at: A tribute to Korean artist Kim Jung Gi, dead at 47 | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Damn, damn, damn that sucks, Kim Jung Gi was a special level of artist in a field of exceptional talent. :frowning:

4 Likes

Blown Away Wow GIF by Aminé

Doesn’t even do it justice in all honesty…

3 Likes

True. I can’t even fathom how folks like him could do it without having some reference to look at. :man_shrugging:

ETA: This is why I often tell folks I feel like more of a copyist than an artist.

4 Likes

I wasn’t familiar with this guys work, but several comics people I follow made comments about his death. Man, he was good! Reminds me of Geoff Darrow with the denseness of the imagery, but so much more detailed.

And he didn’t sketch it out first? You know how hard it is get everything right the first time proportion wise, and you just start making lines in ink with no guide? God damn.

4 Likes

A damn shame. He was an incredible artist.
My condolences to his family and friends.

3 Likes

I’d not heard of him before; but the video is amazing. Even if he was “cheating” and working off faint lines on the whiteboard, his penmanship alone would be astonishing. The fact that it is all done with no preparation is gobsmacking. As a sometimes comic book artist with no visual memory, I am just in awe of this display of talent, skill and expertise.

2 Likes

he was cheating. he was just copying from the image in his mind

3 Likes

An uncanny talent.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.