A tumblog of Greatness: Time is a Flat Circus

[Permalink]

1 Like

Lovely. I knew Iā€™d seen that quote about death and time before, itā€™s in a William Burroughs spoken-word piece, ā€œAh Pook is Hereā€ ā€“ itā€™s slightly differently worded, Burroughsā€™ version is, ā€œDeath needs time for what it kills to grow in.ā€

6 Likes

The Sunday school one is pretty awesome.

5 Likes

See also: Nietzsche Family Circus

3 Likes

Gilsonic should get more love, heā€™s done these for years http://gilsonic.tumblr.com/archive

1 Like

Oh and he does them every day with that dayā€™s new Family Circus! Beat that.

Iā€™d link to the Dysfunctional Family Circus archive, but it was taken down on the request of Bil Kean so donā€™t bother Googling for it.

It appears thereā€™s been at least 4 ā€˜alternative captionā€™ Family Circus sites, none of which are/were connected to each other.

Thereā€™s also Garfield without Garfield, and I think there was a Peanuts/Neitzsche crossover as well.

pgt

Came to say the same thing. The 1994 animated version of Ah Pook is Here (now on Vimeo) left quite an impression on me back in the day.

2 Likes

I must read Nietzche now. I somehow wasnā€™t forced to in school, but the snippets are good enough to let me know that Iā€™ve missed out on something important.

3 Likes

Dysfunctional Family Circus was the best re-texted Family Circus.

About a hundred of my comments made the grade, if you include the ones by ā€œHideo Spanner.ā€ Iā€™m very proud of that.

Oh, come now, you should know itā€™s impossible to remove anything from the internet.

Honestly, though, it doesnā€™t hold up that well. I think in those days the sheer novelty of the internet made things funnier. Remember when Joe Cartoon was the funniest thing in the universe? That frog-in-a-blender Flash animation? Remember when that passed-around proto-South Park short was enough to score Trey Parker and Matt Stone their own TV show, no questions asked? Ahhh, those daysā€¦

1 Like

Blair Family Circus Project

Waitā€¦ wait! Time, a landing field!
Death needs Time like a junkie needs junk.
And what does Death need Time for?
The answer is so simple.
Death needs Time for what it kills to grow in, for Ah Pookā€™s sake.
Death needs Time for what it kills to grow in, for Ah Pookā€™s sweet sake,
You stupid vulgar greedy ugly American death-sucker!

ā€“ William Burroughs: Ah Pook, the Destroyer

2 Likes

Misquoting Uncle Bill = Bad Form

Itā€™s sad when you draw a ā€œcomic,ā€ yet have no sense of humor.

2 Likes

I think you need to check the batteries on your sarcasm detector.

1 Like

Peanuts can be made spooky with considerable ease. Just lop off the last panel.

On the subject of Time and recontextualization, itā€™ll be a while before something tops Donā€™t Hug Me Iā€™m Scared #2.

1 Like

here for everyones enjoyment

http://dfc.furr.org