A very long list of Elon Musk's broken promises

Move fast, break a few things, who knows, maybe some of him would reach Mars.

9 Likes

Hahahahahah!
Oh wait, you’re serious!

GIF by MOODMAN

6 Likes

It’s usually difficult. But he worked at it and earned that hate. Hell - even his father doesn’t like him.

10 Likes

Years ago on another forum, I recall a right winger refer to Prince Bush as “our Jack Bauer President”.* I hadn’t seen any other comparison in the intervening two decades that made me cringe that much, but you’ve done it.

[* Bauer was the action hero protagonist of a TV show called 24 that was popular at the time.]

8 Likes

Leonardo da Vinci actually created things. It’s not the same as buying stuff up at all.

9 Likes

Jean Harlow Lol GIF by Maudit

4 Likes

What the hell, I’ll bite. I got nothing going on at the moment and I feel like abusing myself.

No, he didn’t. Martin Eberhard and Marc Tarpenning did, in partnership with Lotus, who were the only reason the Roadster could be built. The Elise chassis was the only thing light enough to run on laptop batteries and Lotus has a long running program of building suspensions and chassis for other companies.

Musk’s contribution was venture capital provided by the wealth he failed upwards into from PayPal (which he also did not start and was kicked out of).

“Reputable” is doing a lot of heavy lifting there. What on earth could you mean by that? I drove electric cars exclusively for six years all over Los Angeles, using lots of chargers and never even saw a Tesla charger, never mind used one. There are a dozen large charger networks that all work great and have nothing to do with Tesla.

No, he didn’t. Tom Mueller and Chris Thompson did, again with Musk providing buy out money from PayPal. SpaceX employees are on record saying that they manage Musk to keep him away from important decisions, which is why they’ve been successful. This is also true of Tesla.

What do you mean by “put America back in space” anyway? America never stopped building rockets. Thousands of satellite, robot, and instrument launches happened between the Shuttle and SpaceX. Lots of companies have been doing it. We stopped crewed flights after the shuttle, yes, and SpaceX has promised to get America back to doing that, but hasn’t actually done so yet.

What does “default” even mean? You keep adding these mysterious adjectives into your claims, perhaps to make them unfalsifiable. If you go by number of launches (which is a decent proxy for number of successful rockets built for other people) that award goes to Arianspace in Europe. If you go by GDP contribution, or number of components built, that would be someone more like Northrop Grumman, General Dynamics, or AstraSpace. There are a lot of different ways to measure this. SpaceX is up there, with a lot of launches and a lot of rockets built (with parts made by others, of course) but I don’t even know what “default” means in any manufacturing context.

I think you’ll find Gish Galloping doesn’t work here at BB. All these facts were trivial to look up, by the way. All it takes is not seeing the world through a Musk-worshipping lens.

Comparing him to DaVinci is realllly precious, honey. DaVinci built things, he didn’t buy them with emerald blood money. All the evidence you need of who Musk is can be found in what has happened to Twitter. He took one of the most valuable brands in tech and obliterated it overnight with a mind bogglingly stupid series of decisions, each somehow worse than the last. This is what happens when he’s left in control with no board handling him and keeping him away from the important decisions.

Also DaVinci wasn’t a fascist, so that’s nice.

20 Likes

The delusion is real.

13 Likes

Funded by the US government.

10 Likes

Honestly I can’t think of one single thing that Elon Musk has ever created with his own two hands that could be described as “beautiful.”

DaVinci my ass.

12 Likes

Come on, crater on Mars!

Pop Tv GIF by Schitt's Creek

9 Likes

Happy Cracking Up GIF by Regal

If you’re not a professional comedian, you should give it a shot. That was fucking hilarious

9 Likes

I mean, if we’re listing broken promises, there should be at least a couple references to the, “‘til death do we part,” things, right?
Because he’s a real entrepreneur. He doesn’t just break promises to customers and stockholders, but also to loved ones!

9 Likes

An evergreen.

14 Likes

He regularly tortured people for information — like, not just “rough ’em up” but electrical wires and shit

It was considered edgy and cool :face_vomiting:

5 Likes

And of course, it’s always shown as effective.

War on ERROR

10 Likes

Especially by Bush/Cheney fans. I have a feeling that Musk fanbois, including our new visitor, would feel the same about it.

3 Likes

Authoritarianism is woven deeply into American entertainment. Pretty much every single police, legal, or espionage show/movie has extensive use of physical bullying and torture. It’s always incorrectly shown to work and there’s always an audience for it because people like bullies when they’re on your side. At least, some people do. I think it says a lot about the American cultural psyche that this trope is so popular. I used to watch Law & Order: Whatever with friends and we’d play a drinking game called Count The Constitutional Violations. Nobody made it out of the 44 minutes sober.

13 Likes

As @smulder says, 24 was particularly bad. As I recall, one of the show’s creators was vocally on-board with Yoo and Gonzales in the post-9/11 rationale for torture. The show infused popular culture with a literal, though fictional, ticking bomb justification, complete with a countdown timer and some nasty “enhanced interrogations”.

10 Likes

Worst pain in my life was when my appendix burst and as far as I remember it didn’t stop my imagination from working.

3 Likes