'What the f*ck' — Elon Musk coronavirus meltdown on Tesla earnings call, 'Give people back their god damn freedom'

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/29/what-the-fck-elon-mus.html

5 Likes

Billionaires love their human sacrifices

63 Likes

If you like your Tesla stock, you’d better vote for some management changes…

16 Likes

I’m pretty fed up with guys who have the resources he does yet behave like spoiled children. I’m beginning to believe his only real talent is hiring people who might actually complete the things he sells other investors on.

39 Likes

I mean, yes, it’s an open secret in Silicon Valley that you have to coddle a visionary’s every foible and protect them from accountability or else their third eye will close forever and plunge your stock options into an eternal gloaming dark realm.

38 Likes

You first, Musk-Rat; you physically put yourself in harm’s way of becoming infected with this shit, and then maybe I’ll think about shopping or working away from home again.

38 Likes

Tesla finance guy: “Sorry we got disconnected for some reason. What was the question?”

Translation: “It took longer than expected for the janitor to show up with the duct tape.”

26 Likes

A terrifying number of people seem to think Musk is the genius who represents humanity’s best chance for survival, like some real-life Tony Stark.

People tend to forget that Tony Stark was an unstable narcissist asshole who was responsible for creating as many disastrous world-threatening calamities as he averted.

60 Likes

Classic example of high INT, low WIS. Even if he honestly truly believes that “shelter in place” equates to fasism, an earnings call is the wrong place to go nuts about it.

21 Likes

His only real talent is memeing. He’s a rich kid who’s parents profiteered off of apartheid. He’s had everything he wanted handed to him and has never taken a personal risk in his entire life.

Super easy to become a multibillionaire with multimillionaire backing and nothing on the line. Just keep spending other people’s money on projects you like till you find one that takes off. Then you take credit for other people’s work.

43 Likes

If he catches some shrapnel there’s a chance he’ll be less of a dick? Maybe?

13 Likes

In the end, he still showed FAR more self awareness and actual remorse about all his fuck-ups.

For instance, Tony Stark deeply regretted his choices leading up to and during Civil War, whereas Musk seems utterly incapable of ever admitting that there is even a possibility that he’s wrong…

28 Likes

Well I mean there’s a pandemic on. Presumably the guy was at least 10 feet away and had PPE.

7 Likes

And negotiated himself an exclusive contract for the clean-up rights, too.

Of course, at this point I feel like the key difference between Musk and Stark is that Stark at least had the decency to oppose Thanos. Musk would almost certainly negotiate a deal to let him fly to Mars in exchange for letting Thanos pull off the snappening.

19 Likes

If he takes a “friend” there’s a 50/50 chance…

5 Likes

I suspect Tesla is on a pretty thin marginal ‘race to sustainability’ which is being seriously threatened by this shutdown. I get it. I would hate to see Tesla fail because of the virus, not least because we would instantly see all the other car companies say ‘See, nonviable’ and go back to selling the biggest SUVs they can get away with.

That said, I wish he’d focus on managing the crisis and just stay out of the public eye. Do the job, not the communications.

10 Likes

Only one way to find out!

11 Likes

Hard to see how the companies that build internal combustion engine vehicles would be making any more profit right now than the ones making EVs.

In the long term I think electric vehicles are going to be the most common kinds of vehicles on the road with or without Musk’s company. In some ways Musk’s vision for the future already seems outdated because he’s still pitching a transportation system comprised primarily of privately owned cars instead of mass transit/self-driving rideshare vehicles/etc.

26 Likes

The more he catches the higher the chance.

6 Likes

There’s an echo in here… :grin:

7 Likes