Elon Musk the first person to lose $200bn

Originally published at: Elon Musk the first person to lose $200bn | Boing Boing

14 Likes

Don’t stop there Elon! Burn all of it!

36 Likes

And yet there are still Musk fanboys and Musk critics alike who continue to insist that he’s actually a secret genius working some kind of pump-and-dump scheme for long-term financial gain.

Naw, man. He just stupid.

30 Likes

See the source image

28 Likes

Still, there’s hope for the Musk Mars Base! SpaceX is unlisted, but shares have increased in value—largely on the assumption that it will soon sell many more to raise money. Musk’s cozying up to Vladimir Putin and his cronies isn’t a good sign, though, given that its putative future is as a U.S. defense and NASA contractor.

Definitely a security risk, something that would worsen by a few orders of magnitude if the GOP was in control. He has to be watched.

21 Likes

Though he’s really more number two.

16 Likes

But did he ever have an extra 200 billion to lose?

I mean if he sold all physical assets how much cash does he really have?

5 Likes

To think he could have done something helpful/useful/nice with all that money.
But no, billionaires. Sheesh.

31 Likes

As a rule people who like to do things that are helpful/useful/nice with their money don’t become billionaires in the first place. The existence of billionaires is antithetical to an egalitarian society.

48 Likes

The government could have done some nice things with all the subsidies they handed over to him.

29 Likes

I wish I could feel some schadenfreude about it, but he could destroy every company he runs, lose 99% of his wealth, and still walk away with more money than most people could possibly spend in a lifetime.

25 Likes

@Brainspore and @hecep

Two equally valid and depressing points.

17 Likes

If destroying Twitter (or handing it off to responsible owners) ended with Musk still remaining a billionaire, then I’d take that any day of the week. :smiley:

6 Likes

That’s true, but there was never going to be a timeline where Elon Musk wasn’t extremely wealthy. He had that going for him by virtue of his birth. But he was never satisfied with being extremely wealthy, he wanted to be obscenely, mind-bogglingly wealthy and also incredibly popular and also remembered as a super-genius who built a legacy that humanity would remember for countless generations to come.

So there’s at least some schadenfreude in watching those hopes and dreams get crushed like a child-sized crash dummy positioned in front of a self-driving Tesla.

31 Likes

More proof he’s a genius trailblazer, accomplishing what no one has ever managed before!
-Some Elno fans, probably

@hecep
At least the Joker was deliberately trying to create chaos…

I mean, it’s all imaginary money to begin with, but…

5 Likes

…and there was me thinking xmas was over. Thank you for the mind-gift.

14 Likes

He is among the few who can cash out astronomical wealth as he pleases. The problem is that doing it quickly or haphazardly tends to lower the price of the asset, lower confidence in the companies involved—all factors in the Musk shitshow.

22 Likes

He’s just lost half the GDP of Norway - an actual country which unlike Twitter, actually makes things and has a proud history of standing up to Nazis.

28 Likes

It is fun to see Elon falling from grace; but the cost to his employees is very sad.

14 Likes

I feel for him. You know he’s yearning to come out and announce that “Electric cars are trash and no Real Man would buy one”, just to piss off the liberals, but he still has a vague idea that he shouldn’t.

15 Likes