A website that shuts down for the night

Yep. For quite a few years B&H and a handful of other haredi (ultra-orthodox Jewish) owned websites (Adorama and some Judaica stores come to mind) have been refusing to accept orders on days when Jews are prohibited from transacting business. The sites are generally still live for browsing, but you can’t actually buy anything.

4 Likes

This is the most lucid response to this idea. It’s essentially classist, like complaining that the juice in your kid’s private school lunch isn’t organic.

2 Likes

All you have to do is manipulate the HTML to remove the line of code and refresh,
or run the inevitable   wake wake みんな   codemonkey script that will exist for that purpose.

I’m sure they will sell us something that can do that.

1 Like

I like browsing at night, and pre-internet I would habitually read in bed. IMO, screens can be better than paper for night reading.
with paper, it’s a white page and white lamplight reflecting off of it. then you fall asleep and the lamp is still on, your brain still registering pink eyelids until you wake back up and kill the lamp.

with screens, I can re-theme them to black backgrounds at night, kill the brightness, and even filter out the blue light which the brain interperets as daylight with an app. and when I fall asleep, the device goes to sleep after my setting for inactivity.

on my phone, my Red Moon bluelight filter app even has a special setting that rigs the phone to also dim the brightness even further than what the OS setting slider will go.

getting in the habit of turning off lamps or switching them to dim or indirect light and setting up my screens for night viewing at dusk every night seems like it works well for me.

edit: to add, doing the opposite – bright white screens and all lamps on – is great for daytime.

1 Like

The Canada Revenue Agency already does this! I didn’t realize they were ahead of the game regarding wellness.

I was looking up info about bathtubs recently (we’re going to redo our bathroom) and found a website of a bathtub company that closed for Sabbat.

I found that an interesting interpretation of Sabbat requirements - it’s not enough for them to let orders and emails sit until the next day - just having people read their website is too much like work.

Just to fuck with people*, set the site to Martian Sols.

* the people who aren’t Mars scientists working closely with probe data and operations.

Or something else claiming that it “may just” do that, but clearly does not.

The timezones issue is interesting.

Due to the odd hours i work (3-4AM - 8-9AM UPS loader) and some of the youtubers i follow being in wildly different timezones, i’ve gotten some great accidental coincidences where some bizarre timing alligns my end up perfectly :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Edited to bold the bit about being able to bypass the bedtime for all the folks complaining about graveyard shifts or whatever.

Shutting down is a bad idea…Everyone knows that’s how you get poltergeists.

Or something to put us to sleep.

You can just change your time-zone settings, perhaps?

And there is at least one New York camera store that doen’t take orders on Saturdays.

It’s a global web, though, and what works for locals doesn’t work for everybody else. I belong to a organization that meets every month between 4 pm and 6 pm (Eastern) because the owner has to cater to Americans, Aussies and Europeans.

Ha! I remember as a kid seeing “Off the Air” listed in TV Guide for quite a few (of the 13) channels after a certain time. I was SO curious what that show was, but could never stay awake long enough to see it. I told a friend about it (we were probably 10 yo). She laughed so hard…

5 Likes

200-1

3 Likes

It asked Facebook.

That could be easily done with a couple of simple cron jobs.

Why? It’s like Hobby Lobby not being open on Sundays. That’s literally their business. What’s the class issue with people not being able to shop at any time they want to? Absent gigantic changes in reality, there will always be a competitor that is open. Or another museum, fan-fiction website, shitty music reviews, video-game replays, etc.

Until this becomes a thing that captures a significant percentage of websites, there is literally nobody that will be hurt or even inconvenienced in any realistic way.

Ironically, it seems rather classist to insist that this insignificant thing is classist. Let’s focus on the class issues that MATTER - not a gimmicky intermittent website.

1 Like