A website that shuts down for the night

A recurring theme I read on YC news is: Hey, there’s good reason to question conventional tech/business knowledge. Lots of stories about Devs saying, “Hey, uh. Not everyone needs to use microservices…”

I would really love to know the ROI on what it costs to run any given modern retail website hourly, versus how much revenue they are generating during those hours. Not all websites service worldwide traffic!

For some, it may actually make good business sense to scale down to a placeholder page until the start of business hours, or use a “waiting room”.

Microservices, DevOps, REST, Agile, etc.

People take a mostly decent idea, turn it into dogma and poof! Two or three years of buzzword filled resume padding nonsense follows.

Edit: I can’t believe I left off containers, docker, and Kubernetes! Wow!

2 Likes

I hate it. Lots of people are nocturnal for various reasons, including myself whenever possible. It’s bad enough that there are virtually no places to get food or necessities after 9:00 pm in the physical world. That’s an unfortunate necessity. Creating artificial, unnecessary scarcity in the digital realm is not a welcome development.

3 Likes

Kind of presumptuous though, and not fair to people who have different work schedules.

Edit: Doh! I really should have read the thread before making a redundant comment.

Which is hilarious to me, that people think we have an accurate count of the days back to the beginning of humanity, such that we know which day is the “7th day” that we should all “rest” on.

2 Likes

Good night everybody!

<script async src="https://code.nightnight.xn--q9jyb4c/js/2200/0600/nightnight.js"></script>

You don’t like NFTs?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.