A woman's breast implant deflected a bullet, saving her life

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/22/a-womans-breast-implants-def.html

1 Like

thanks, @pesco now I want a boob job :upside_down_face: :upside_down_face:

9 Likes

New surgical fad: kevlar tits!

Trump really didn’t need to make his quite so large, however. The organ they’re protecting is really quite small.

6 Likes

Trying to figure out how the bullet trajectory was showing in the xray - before realizing those are those sensors (for heart beats?) and the wires leading to the machine they are hooked up too.

I guess in the old days it was a flask or a pocket Bible. I guess take those lucky moments where you can.

7 Likes

Ready for the Boobaloo

2 Likes

Shouldn’t a surgeon know the lungs are on both sides and the heart is in the middle (usually just slightly left of midline)?

7 Likes

Or perhaps a campaign speech.

Though I still like to imagine that Teddy just stared down his would-be assassin as he flexed his pecks so hard that the bullet just popped out and smacked the shooter in the face.

14 Likes

Considering its Roosevelt if you told me he did that i would believe you.

8 Likes

I think it’s referring to the left hand side of the entry point.

5 Likes

Yikes. All I can think is, she just got shot and now she has to have emergency surgery to have her now-leaking breast implants removed. I’m sure she’s glad to be alive, but that’s still a fair amount of physical trauma.

You don’t need one - being sufficiently overweight serves the same function, but protects all your organs! I’ve read about a number of cases where obese people got shot dozens of times and survived, as the bullets didn’t get past the fatty tissue.

3 Likes

That and it makes you a lot harder to kidnap.

5 Likes

I almost feel sorry for the assassin as it was. Imagine hitting your target square in the chest at near point-blank range and then realizing you only succeeded in making him angry.

7 Likes

On the one hand, she’s lucky to be alive. On the other hand, she was apparently just shot completely at random for no reason by a mystery person (seriously, WTF, that’s terrifying and completely glossed over), and now her breasts are all over the internet. Sounds like a bad day.

5 Likes

Now all I think about is this scene from Tremors 2.

2 Likes

Did she celebrate by getting bigger ones? For safety!

Fun fact: breast implants often save lives. The original theory is that they would increase breast cancer. Study after study was done to determine the magnitude of the problem. And study after study got results from “no effect” to “reduced cancer.” The researchers, one after another, decided they must have run a flawed study.

Along came someone who decided to do a metastudy. They determined that the cumulative result of these previous studies (15, IIRC) was a 1/3 reduction is breast cancer. Hmmm. How? Well, they did a mouse study that implanted teeny tiny mousy breast implants. They found the result was fewer breast cancers (apparently in mice bred to have breast cancer).

The working theory is the implant apply pressure and/or cause irritation that causes the immune system to pay more attention to the area of the implant. Which in turn leads to the body naturally detecting and destroying the cancer before it can become detectable.

Side story: I found a practical and very self serving use for this information. A friend “forced” me to go with him to a club in Vegas. At the time, I was working in breast cancer research (surgery side). Women working there would ask what I did for a living, which they found particularly interesting. They’d ask me about the dangers of implants. Being able to give them some potential good news was better than money. I was constantly surrounded by interested listeners who would go and bring others to hear what I had to say.

Some jobs have unusual perks.

12 Likes

And what abous bullet throwing implants?

2 Likes

Sorry, I thought you said bullet throwing. Those were rockets/missiles.

For comparison:

4 Likes

Tactical implants!

2 Likes

There have been cases of pacemakers stopping a bullet. I met such a patient about 25 years ago.

5 Likes