Man gets large breast implants to keep heart in place for double lung transplant

Originally published at: Man gets large breast implants to keep heart in place for double lung transplant | Boing Boing

3 Likes

“Necessity is the mother of invention” and all that. Interesting story!

12 Likes

… But did he opt to keep them? /silly

(edit: I’m not judging if he did keep them; It’s nice to have a pair.)

6 Likes

I wonder how long it will take him to start smoking again?

1 Like

It’s horrifying, fascinating, and thrilling all at once to realize how brilliant physicians and brilliant home mechanics end up using similarly creative kludges to make things work well enough, long enough to get to a more permanent fix. Zip ties and duct tape make the world go round. At least temporarily.

11 Likes

Well, my dad continued to smoke after a few different cancers and a collapsed lung. (His doctors removed half of one.) Granted his cancers were probably from Agent Orange exposure, but the smoking did not help.

2 Likes

You saw the part about how these things were inside his chest cavity in the space where his lungs with normally go, right?

2 Likes

1 Like

Greys Anatomy (S6e17) - who knew that show would be blazing the surgical bleeding edge.

Mark buys into the advice, and after Teddy needs him on a consult - a patient who had a lung removed years before now has a syndrome causing his heart to float around inside his body, and she wants to use saline implants to keep it in place - he decides to bite the bullet and ask her out.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.