童絵解万国噺: a wonderfully bizarre 19th century Japanese fanfic history of America

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/18/osanaetoki-bankokubanashi.html

10 Likes

Cool! I’m looking forward to the film version with Daniel Day Lewis as the all devouring snake.

7 Likes

It’s been a while since I could dig out this meme but it seems appropriate.

11 Likes

Obviously, this should all be considered canon.

13 Likes

How is this “fanfic”?

3 Likes

Yeah, I was expecting Cornwallis/Washington.

3 Likes

Propaganda has to be efficient first and make proper sense never. Could have been written by Trump.

2 Likes

This has chopping cherry trees and pitching silver dollars across the Potomac beat all hollow.

10 Likes

I suppose the starting point was Ben Franklin’s insufficiently-captioned cartoon?

(Unfortunate that Ms. Beaton seems to have given up on her website of late.)

11 Likes

One of my favorite sports used to be laughing at the awful beat-you-over-the-head-with-the-point over-labeling in the typical newspapers’ political cartoon. Something I’m not sad to see die with newspapers.

2 Likes

As a cartoonist myself I’ve noticed this thing where white American cartoonists and illustrators (especially those not raised on manga and anime) have a really hard time drawing Asian faces in a convincing way. I think the opposite is sometimes true also (I assume sailor moon is supposed to be a blonde white girl right? I really can’t tell other than her hair color) But I kinda like how this artist didn’t even try to make the European Americans in his story look non-Japanese.

2 Likes

This is no more fanciful than Americans’ notions of other countries’ history.

7 Likes

To be frank, this is no more fanciful than Americans’ notions of American history.

12 Likes

Yup. We were responsible for winning WWII and defeating Communism, after all.

2 Likes

Eh, the Anime is better.
Also George Washington punching a tiger would be a kick ass motif for a T-shirt.

5 Likes

All thanks to Davy Crockett, and no one else.

3 Likes

“Washington’s ‘second-in-command’ John Adams battling an enormous snake”; “George Washington straight-up punching a tiger”; a snake eating John Adams’s mother and seeking help to avenge himself upon the snake from “a magical mountain fairy”; and so on.

Jesus. These are the stories that we, as Americans, have desperate need of.

This is very true.

This is extremely true. And I have to say, I like these American fairy tales better than the ones I grew up with. Less damaging, if nothing else.

7 Likes

Early Manga.

1 Like

Sort of like… Abraham Lincoln, Vampire-slayer.

3 Likes
6 Likes