AARP runs vomit-inducing, quackery-filled breast cancer piece with Sheryl Crow, Melissa Etheridge

No, just willfully ignorant and hypocritical.

1 Like

shouldn’t that be followed by a nyuk-nyuk?

4 Likes

Wise Guy!

4 Likes

I understand what you mean. I have never made any distinction between pseudoscience and mysticism, the difference of vocabulary seems superficial.

The problem is, I think, that to people who don’t do the science - it really is just metaphysics to them. To those who do the science, they don’t need to believe anything, merely interpret the evidence. But laypeople are told to take it on faith that the science really happens! So how is this different for them than belief in anything else? Functionally, it isn’t. They didn’t do the work either way.

It seems more practical to avoid belief entirely. Which doesn’t preclude anyone from either doing science or engaging in sketchy mystical activities if they choose to.

1 Like

What a crock! Try thinking for yourself instead of perpetuating this straw man.

Could you be specific? Feel free to demonstrate the limits of my sloppy thinking.

For once, the “duck face” pose is 100% appropriate. You know, for the quackery.

I don’t understand idiots who have fallen for the “my diet is too acidic” or what ever nonsense. WTF do they think their food is entering? A PH balanced chamber of distilled water?

3 Likes

You misunderstand my post. I was not conflating faith with natural order, making scientific method an exercise in belief. I said that it becomes faith for laypeople due to the specialized nature of scientific work as a vocation. Meaning the evidence which is meaningful to a trained person is often not meaningful to the untrained.

1 Like

I’ve never understood why people look to celebrities as experts on health and science. Most of these folks are not exactly PhD’s (James Franco notwithstanding) and many pursue careers as entertainers specifically because they are really just not that smart.

2 Likes

You’ll have to forgive me for forgetting that you are the ultimate judge of what others may find meaningful.

Seriously, I didn’t misunderstand you at all. I provided three rebukes to your tiresome canard in hopes you will educate yourself. You dismissed one because the title does not seem to apply when in fact all three links directly address the straw man you shamelessly steal and prop up here.

My tiresome canard? I just made one post a few minutes ago, and since your 2nd hand “rebukes” don’t address what I was saying, I would need to conclude that you didn’t read or understand it.

Did you miss the part where I suggested not believing anything?

1 Like

popobawa4u is a nihilist?

There’s nothing to be afraid of.

WHO’S THE FUCKING NIHILIST HERE! WHAT ARE YOU, A BUNCH OF FUCKING CRYBABIES?

If you know to ask, a surprising number of retail establishments will give you a discount if you show your card.

Also, AARP’s politics lean Democratic instead of Republican, because they’re actually lobbying for the 99% who are at a very vulnerable time in life. It runs counter to the usual demographics in the two main political parties. It’s probably the only organization presenting real facts to the core of Fox News listeners in a way that might actually register with them.

4 Likes

I didn’t say this either, my presumptuous friend. Do I need to believe in things for them to exist? Can’t I reasonably assume that whatever exists would do regardless of belief?

Anyway, sorry about the derail everybody!

1 Like

Well. some of us do, hence the word woo.

I don’t think people believe in science blindly, I do think they confuse woo for science though, because woo peddlers try to dress up their mysticism in a lab coat, hence pseudoscience.

Hey don’t use it if you don’t want, but it does mean something very specific which I am trying to get across, I’ve long stopped trying to make arguments with the vocabulary part of my brain “strapped behind my back”. Words do what I tell them to.

Here’s a song that cuts both ways:

1 Like

Homonyms are gay.

6 Likes

Hey. Just fyi slang hater: “Sloppy” started as slang altho it’s now so common as to be considered part of “regular” English. Funny how that works, huh? :smiley:

I aspire to invent a word that eventually moves from slang to standard English, but it will never likely happen in my gurglefrooz.

5 Likes

Maybe the insurance corporations intend to use lightnings as “act of god” to smite the high-cost sick?