AARP runs vomit-inducing, quackery-filled breast cancer piece with Sheryl Crow, Melissa Etheridge

That’s why the homophones hate them.

4 Likes

Because they are homophonic?

3 Likes

Nah, they just sound like they are.

7 Likes

Has the whole world gone crazy? Am I the only one around here who gives a shit about the rules? Mark it zero!

(just because I love posting bits of this film, not because I care about the argument)

1 Like

As if assuming something exists differs substantially from believing in it. You’re really splitting hairs here.

1 Like

It’s been a gurglefrooz since I have seen somebody successfully sproitlz a new word.

5 Likes

It can so differ. I can assume something by positing the slightest hint of a hypothesis, with utter detachment. In contrast to believing it as a fundamental assumption, invested with the deepest and most immediate personal conviction. The two could be fairly similar, or there could be worlds of difference between them.

1 Like

So I’m actually at the hospital right now participating in a breast cancer clinical trial and I am so happy to hear that according to two musicians my recurrence was my fault. I have the gene and was originally diagnosed with breast cancer at 38 years old. Of course we didn’t know about the gene because I have no family history of cancer. 8 years later I am 47 years old and have stage IV metastatic breast cancer in my bones. I have an excellent team and expect to be here for a long time but I can’t tell you how many people share these misinformed ideas and AARP printing this crap does nothing to help anyone with breast cancer.

9 Likes

Do something that gets popular. Whether it is a meme, a dance move (“twerk”), a corporation with a product (see e.g. “tweeting”), a movie reference (“kwyjibo”), a novel (“grok” and many more…), if it gets popular enough you have a chance for it to become a part of the official dictionary.

In other words, your best chance with this is as a byproduct of something you do really well.

Or some kind of byproduct, anyway. e.g. Santorum and Farage.

6 Likes

Well, these two are state-of-the-art.

Well, “to japhroaig” is to engage in silly, distracting banter, but it isn’t quite in Samuel Johnsons (that great brain box) magnificent tome yet.

2 Likes

Can’t I just dilute the lye with more water? Why do I have to use a weak acid?

3 Likes

Well, Steve Jobs didn’t fare so well…

Cancer is a horrible disease. It’s a journey; a fight, it’s tough," he
said. "But if you want publicity, if you want to pick up girls, cancer
is the greatest thing in the world.

That’s queer.

I think the other common aspect of “woo” is to discount prevailing wisdom as part of some particularly insidious conspiracy.

Typically this goes something like “How chocolate chip muffins cure cancer and other secrets the Illuminauti don’t want you to know about.”

3 Likes

This was thing number one I would advise my hospice patients who asked about some quackery. If anyone’s sales promotion involves the allegation of a huge medical conspiracy to keep a cancer cure secret, it is ALWAYS an attempt to prey upon you or your family’s fear and desperation.
In my mind there is nothing lower than someone deliberately sowing fear and misinformation in an attempt to make a buck. In science or anything else.
I do not doubt for a minute that Sheryl Crow and Melissa Etheridge both believe what they say, and most likely whoever chose to run that article in the AARP magazine felt it was topical and “inspiring”.
Giving people a platform with a large audience involves some responsibility. And what you put out there DOES reflect upon your publication and in this case your organization. If you want to interview a famous person about their opinions it should be labelled as such, not as medical guidelines presented as from authorities.
I love the music of both ladies, and I will happily continue to not make music if they will stay out of medicine!

3 Likes

One musician I MIGHT take scientific advice from:

2 Likes

Have you tried taking homeopathic adamantium for your bones? :smile:

2 Likes