Abducted woman rescued after she passes note to stranger at gas station: "Help. Call 911"

Originally published at: Abducted woman rescued after she passes note to stranger at gas station: "Help. Call 911" | Boing Boing

9 Likes

“gentleman”

I think not

4 Likes

“Help. Call 911. Blue Honda van. Going towards Kingman Las Vegas. Also, have you seen the price of gas!?”

3 Likes

When my mom was kidnapped 70 years ago she only had a dollar bill for the help note she gave to the gas station attendant.

11 Likes

That’s a dollar worthy of a frame to be sure.

15 Likes

From the glossary:

11 Likes

This is why children shouldn’t get in trouble for passing notes in class, it’s a valuable life skill.

Also, do children still pass notes? Everyone has got to be on a smartphone at this point.

10 Likes

Wow! Both the women in this exchange showed great presence of mind. :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Edit to add an appropriate adjective.

10 Likes

So then what happened?

1 Like

OTOH, how are they going to build the skill of surreptitiously passing notes unless they’re also breaking the rules?

4 Likes

Wait, seriously? What does the script say? Other than what appears to be your mother’s name.

Edited after taking a second look.

1 Like

Touché. Your point is well made, and I have no rejoinder.

4 Likes

In high school, one persistent troublemaker passed me a folded note ‘labeled’ with Open Me Up For A Surprise. I opened it and was surprised by a wad of snot. I didn’t know that he had passed the note — but our instructor had watched things play out. The only “valuable life skill” I learned then was never to open mystery notes, and perhaps the troublemaker learned of something as our instructor walked him out of the room and down to (as we learned later) have a chat with one of the administrative supervisors.

2 Likes

Help. Call her parents please. “I have been forced at gunpoint”

4 Likes

State police set up a roadblock. My mother got to chill in the company of local reporters who got her story and wirephoto onto every paper in the country. State and federal courts looked at the kidnapping case. Their hometown was more willing to believe that a Korean war vet could do no wrong than to believe what my mother said, so Mom ended up moving far from home.

7 Likes

Glad she escaped the situation through her ingenuity.

7 Likes

… that feel when I get a robocall on my cell :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

6 Likes

Somehow in the time between her requesting an Uber and it showing up, he found out about the request, put on a wig, and got to her before the real Uber.

He must have been creeping on her constantly, and probably had accomplices. What a nightmare.

2 Likes

My mother escaped the immediate threat of a guy she had known who drove off with her at gunpoint, who said he would kill her and then himself, who later carjacked another woman after shooting a hole in her car, who later stabbed his ex-wife. My mother never escaped the lingering aftereffects. I hope better for the woman this week.

6 Likes

Thank goodness she was able to get help, and the person she passed the note to was aware enough to act appropriately. This could have ended much worse.

3 Likes