Abercrombie and Fitch to be fined after firing headscarf-wearing Muslim

Of course, no question. Same for the first pass you mention. Thing being I learned long ago that the first pass is often wrong. Just the same as that someone in a suit might just have something which interests me, someone who signals that they are unusual often is not actually all that interesting.

This seems to have become all the more true since the items required for what we once thought of as counterculture signals have become so commodified. Wasnt that long ago that wearing a green mohawk in public was not only a signal it was a health risk in many places as it was basically an invite to an ass kicking. These days not at all.

Personally I give the guy in the gas mask the same odds as the guy in the corporate logo shirt.

That’s a major logical fallacy right there. If I say the A&F stuff is like yellow stripes on an insect, then I am saying that the wearer is broadcasting a signal that indicates something about them. It does not mean that I am only looking for people wearing a certain other costume. Or like a traffic signal, knowing that red means stop does not mean that only green means go, as there may not be green, the light might be out of order. And on and on.
I do not have unlimited reserves of cognitive ability to engage people. A&F is a reliable sign for a certain mindset for now. Not investing my attention does not equal contempt, merely that I am deciding to conserve my attention for the more interesting people.

If I misread you, my apologies. Thats why I phrased it as “seem to be saying” in the first place.

Well, if my (currently 18 year old) sister in law is any indication, A&F clothes is still in high demand among the teen set in Dublin. This would seem to disprove your statement.

Obviously Dublin is currently undergoing their mid-90’s version of the US. They should keep listening to the Cranberries and enjoy the Michael Keaton Batman while they can.

It’s like how Canada had their 80’s in the 90’s. Oh, I miss Robin Sparkles.

That’s all right, I just didn’t want that logical fallacy to go uncommented. And in the end, we all learn a little bit.

Oh, Robin Sparkles. You are the best part of Canada.

yes, yes i do think it is weird… in fact, i question the entire story simply based on the fact that it is so weird.

your hilarious comparisons are exactly why i question the validity of this story. I do not think A&F would hire someone with the understanding that they’d be allowed to hide behind a religious drape… especially seeing as this person would have to apply under said drape.

I would never expect A&F to hire me as a salesman… I’m much too fat for their clothing so I would suck as a salesman for their clothing.

Let me rephrase… does a new-hire (one who obviously did not apply in religious garb) have a right to require a private company to conform to her religious views?

we’re talking about a jeans and t-shirt store here… do you really think that a global entity the size of A&F hired this woman while she was wearing her full religious ‘garb’?

this is a clear case of ‘religion’ playing the butt-hurt card and it is ridiculous. of all the “anti-religion” crap i’ve come across this is one of the most obviously stupid.

it is clearly religion forcing its will upon the secular. and it’s stupid.

and as far as me being a current93 fan… i’ve listened to them since 1986 and have David Tibet’s signature tattooed on my leg… so be embarrassed. I won’t allow your religious insecurities dictate my understanding of reality… unless you can come up with a point that’s, at least, some what valid

She is not trying to force anyone to conform to her religious beliefs. She is merely trying to conform to her own religious beliefs.

If you read the article, she was allowed to wear her hijab when she was first hired but the company then changed the rules in the middle of the game. As for it being a “jeans and t-shirt” kind of company- people do wear the hijab with jeans and a t-shirt. It works with all kinds of outfits.

Private companies cannot be allowed to discriminate against Muslim women by forcing them to violate their religious beliefs in their manner of dress. That would be an example of secular people imposing their will on religious people.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.