Absurd trolley problems

And there @jerwin, we have a concrete ethical problem :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It’s a fundamentally dishonest question being asked with fundamentally dishonest motivation. There is zero requirement to take it seriously or provide the answers the person asking it is looking for.

Just out of curiosity, how many of you would save your best friend but let your first cousin die to save multiple second cousins? I did.
Since we’re talking about what premises we can question, the cousin one would be extremely different for people based on family dynamics!

I just realised that Britain had it’s own trolley problem last week

Boris de Pfeffel Johnson is on one line, a load of Tories who somehow make him look like he is not entirely shit on the other (The one I despise the least at the moment is Grant Shapps, which should say everything about how awful they all are). We pulled the lever and killed de Pfeffels career, and the consequences are now becoming clear.

2 Likes

I submit that you, the voters of Britain, did nothing of the sort. The voters of Britain are the trolley, and the conglomeration of horrible excuses for human beings on one track shoved de Pfeffel onto the other track and pulled the switch in a panic.

2 Likes

Also, the Mona Lisa, the copy in the Louvre, if you will, has been extensively studied and reproductions abound. It is one of the cultural heritage assets of humanity the destruction of which would actually substract the least from the total sum of future human knowledge.

An argument could be made that a lesser work of Da Vinci’s would be more harmful to destroy.

(Not to mention that it’s overrated as a painting, even among renaissance portraits or Da Vinci’s portraits. I mean:

)

4 Likes

Ah, yes. Woman Holding Ferret. Wonderful piece. Especially the way the ferret’s eyes follow you about.

3 Likes

Er, mine eyes doth see a different mustelid

3 Likes

https://wiki.lspace.org/Leonard_of_Quirm

3 Likes

It’s an ermine!

ETA: Wikipedia:

The animal resting in Cecilia’s arms is usually known as an ermine. Commentators have noted that it is too large to be an actual ermine,[27] but its size is explained by its being of a largely symbolic nature; it is actually a white ferret.

Well. Shit.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.