Acting Attorney General orders DoJ lawyers not to defend the #muslimban UPDATE: she's fired

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/01/30/acting-attorney-general-orders.html

10 Likes

I hope she dusted off her resume. tRump is a vengeful little tyrant.

42 Likes

She was on her way out anyway; but her position on the unethical and illegal ramifications of such an unconstitutional EO is important; we cannot allow Dump’s way of doing things to become “normal.”

The more people who resist in whatever ways they can, the better.

41 Likes

Yates joins Richardson and Ruckelshaus of Nixon’s Saturday Night Massacre fame in putting their legal duties ahead of the questionable actions of their political masters. Kudos.

54 Likes

Yay, someone else remembers the Saturday Night Massacre!

Kudos to Sally Yates indeed.

21 Likes

I just saw an alert on my phone that she has been replaced by Dana Boente. That didn’t take long.

Edit to add link.

19 Likes

She’s already been fired…

What was that, two hours?

11 Likes

Looks like Trump is taking after Jackson in that respect too.

1 Like

reads like it was drafted by a petulant sixth grader.

34 Likes

I look forward to him getting fired tomorrow.

10 Likes
20 Likes

Apparently Yates was the only one authorized to sign FISA warrants, and, while i personally don’t mind the government not being able to use those for awhile, it’s interesting that they’d give up that power.

18 Likes

You’re assuming they don’t arbitrarily pass a new EO granting all FISA warrants automatically. (Legal? No, but the TLA’s won’t care about such minor technicalities!) I expect to see that, or some version thereof, in the news before the end of the week.

17 Likes

Not so much. It was more that i couldn’t think how to put that cynical and likely true view.

7 Likes

until Senator Jeff Sessions is finally confirmed by the Senate, where he is being wrongly held up by Democrat senators for strictly political reasons.

Oh, you mean like Merrick Garland? Seriously, I’m furious Obama didn’t keep making a huge fuss about that right up until his last day.

35 Likes

The acting Attorney General, Sally Yates, has (allegedly) betrayed the Department of Justice by refusing to enforce a(n allegedly) legal order (allegedly) designed to protect the citizens of the United States.

Fixed that for them…

17 Likes

Took Nixon 5 years to get to where Trump is in …10 days?

22 Likes

Alt-legal

10 Likes
10 Likes

The replacement was responsible for the stuff that Drumpf was complaining about during his campaign…

However, he is also probably the guy who told the agents to ignore the judicial ruling.

11 Likes