Adam Sandler wins Mark Twain humorist award; honored by famous friends at gala

Originally published at: Adam Sandler wins Mark Twain humorist award; honored by famous friends at gala | Boing Boing

1 Like

Equally interested and annoyed that in this day and age there’s no easy way to watch the entire presentation end to end.

1 Like

“Adam has created characters that have made us laugh, cry, and cry from laughing. We are looking forward to celebrating his career at a ceremony that is sure to bring together the best in comedy and provide all the laughs.”

— Deborah F. Rutter, Kennedy Center President

Did he really get even close to that great while I wasn’t paying attention?

11 Likes

Not remotely! It’s a little jarring reading through the list of past winners and getting to him at the end. Dave Chappelle, Jon Stewart, John Letterman, Carol Burnett, Steve Martin, Bill Murray, and… Nanahoohoo-voice guy who has loathed his audience for the better part of three decades.

2 Likes

Yeah, this is completely baffling to me. He’s not that funny, nor is he culturally significant.

4 Likes

He’s culturally significant for the late '90s comedy wave and has struggled as we’ve gotten funnier.

2 Likes

Even though I’m a cord-cutter (in that I don’t have cable TV or satellite anymore) I subscribed to YouTubeTV so I can watch/record stuff that is not always available for streaming.
There is enough content that is completely available there that you’d have to either subscribe to something else (Bravo, Peacock, etc) or miss it. I like watching baseball throughout the season, as well as all the tennis grand slams. And though for the latter, ESPN is totally trying to force you into subscribing to their streaming service, I can still see a lot.
And I have to admit - I still like just putting the TV on at the end of the work day on CNN or Food Network or something while we’re making dinner.

On topic -
I was actually surprised how much I enjoyed the show. Everybody was really funny and engaging for the most part.
The funny thing is, his best movie wasn’t funny - Uncut Gems - at all. But was very good, IMO.
And darkly funny “Funny People” I enjoyed quite a bit.

3 Likes

Although the humor level of his films is questionable, by all accounts Adam Sandler is a stand up guy to his cast and production crew.

4 Likes

No. He’s not really funny if you’re aged over 14.

4 Likes

Did he spend any inkling of a moment to pay respect to or apologize to his high school janitor?

I guess that’s actually a proud moment, when a 14-year-old kid walks up to him and tells him about that joke he really likes.

1 Like

yech.

I was pretty baffled by the choice, and gets to a problem with these kinds of awards, sometimes having to come up with someone every year means this kind of nonsense happens. I mean if his career is enough to be an elder statesperson of comedy, whose isn’t.

1 Like

I’ve had the feeling for a long time that Mark Twain would not approve of many of the recipients of the Mark Twain award.

Incidentally, I just read this morning in a footnote to my copy of Civilization and Its Discontents that Sigmund Freud attended at least one reading of Mark Twain’s where he read his story about stealing his first watermelon. Freud noted that Twain began by saying, “But was it the first?”

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.