Adam Savage builds a 1:10 scale shipping container

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/30/adam-savage-builds-a-110-scale-shipping-container.html

5 Likes

When I saw the thumbnail for this video, and it said one day build I was super impressed that somehow Adam Savage made a really detailed cargo container scale model in such a short time. But in fact he just made a box and glued some pictures of a cargo container on it. Still looks good from a distance. But it’s not especially durable. It’s a decent project, just not what I was hoping for.

5 Likes

Now I want to see a video where he converts his miniature shipping container into an overpriced, uncomfortable doll house.

31 Likes

Will he build a 1:10 scale house of it that will be too expensive and substandard?

Damn it. Beat me to it!

10 Likes

Is it filled with cheap plastic junk from China?

Or old electronics on their way to China to be melted down/scrapped?

5 Likes

Nice to get the shout-out though.

4 Likes

He does come from the motion picture props business, where “looks good from a distance” is often the brief.

8 Likes

Adam Savage builds a 1:10 scale shipping container

Because, of COURSE he did!

(This man is a national treasure)

2 Likes

Finally, a truly tiny house feedstock that we can all get into!

2 Likes

So the title of tfa should be “Adam Savage Builds A Wood Box And Applies Contact Paper To It In One Day”?

4 Likes

It’s not filled with plastic junk–it’s wrapped in plastic junk.

2 Likes

If somebody is willing to make a miniature shipping container from metal, complete with corrugated sheet metal walls, swinging doors, and rod locking mechanisms, I will gladly throw lots of money at them.

2 Likes

At least he built the box. The original listing for the vinyl wrap was suggesting one should just purchase a 15" x 15" x 48" Cardboard Shipping box from FedEx.

3 Likes

Yeah, I saw the thumbnail and thought, “Wow - that’s a crazy amount of detail on that model…” But of course it’s highly detailed, it turns out it’s a photograph, ha.

Probably ultimately more durable than getting that kind of detail from sculpting and painting, though.

2 Likes

I thought this guy was canceled?

As a bench it’s maybe okay if a bit uncomfortable for more than a short period, plus unstable because it’s on cheap-o casters. As storage of anything other than 48"-long rolled-up drawings, it’s next to useless unless you have a chimpanzee in your workshop who can reach all the way to the closed end.

But kinda cool, still.

2 Likes

Adam Savage does his own show on YouTube. His his recent show on ILM using a motion control model instead of CGIfor the mandalorian is fabulous. He is a very good interviewer. He’s charming, and his enthusiasm is contagious.

2 Likes

Yeah, I was thinking that a hinged top would be more useful, if less prototypical.

3 Likes

I would guess what @anon32019413 is referring to are the recent allegations against him. (Which I won’t repeat here.)

3 Likes

I think he saw it on another blog, I was trying to figure out the boing reference. But he received it six years ago. Assumed it would be a prop on a Mythbusters episode.

2 Likes