Adam Savage builds Lego's new Saturn V/Apollo Mission model rocket

That’s clever.

Seven? That’s ambitious! I haven’t clustered more than four at once. If they all ignite, it will be impressive to watch. If one fails to ignite or blows up, the failure will be epic.

2 Likes

I don’t understand what Lego’s business model is.

They have thousands of people (tens of thousands?) who would unhesitatingly click to give them $119.99 + tax + shipping. “Take my money. No hurry. Just send it when you’re ready. I’ll be fine.” If they were going to do another production run, why doesn’t Lego.com take backorders?

Is there some method in the scarcity Lego engineers into their production runs? How does it benefit them to sell fewer units? All I see them doing is bestowing a $200.00+ windfall unto the scalpers in Montana and Ontario.

2 Likes

Gah, all these lucky people who’ve already received their kit. I don’t even have an expected shipping date, it just says “back ordered”.
Still, it’ll be a nice surprise when it does turn up, and it’s even something of a bargain at £110, as that makes it about 5.5p per brick compared to about 8p normally.

seeing the absolute childish joy Neil DeGrasse Tyson exhibits in this video? is what EVERY kid from a certain age range shares…

Woof!!!

1 Like

For many years when I was a kid, the Saturn V model at the Hayden Planetarium – the predecessor to the museum that Tyson now runs – was an Estes model. It still had the spiral mylar launch lug up the side. It was the most impressive model of the rocket at the time, I guess.

Probably still in place: The Saturn at the Seattle air and space museum has an Apogee 1/70 scale flying model rocket Saturn V in its history of space display. I went on a tour during a convention, and the kit’s designer was with us. He got to do a “Yup, that’s one of mine” takes.

Oooh, picture here:
https://www.apogeerockets.com/Rocket_Kits/Skill_Level_5_Kits/Saturn_V_1_70th_Scale

Adam Savage builds Lego’s new Saturn V/Apollo Mission model rocket

I was fairly sure that the next part of this headline was going to be - and blows it up

Anyway, when building your own Up Goer Five, think big:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.