Adam Savage, 'Every Tool's a Hammer: Life Is What You Make It' [BOOKS]

Thank you

4 Likes

A halcyon moment, for sure.

3 Likes

He and Jamie were in the Apple cafeteria one day during the Mythbuster’s TV run. I saw Adam first and his face was familiar but I had no idea from where… was trying to place where I had met him. Then I saw Jamie slightly away from Adam and MYTHBUSTERS were in the building. What struck me as odd was how tall Adam was and how short Jamie was - on TV it looked reversed to me.

1 Like

I suspect it says more about Hyneman than it does about Savage. At least from his public persona, he does seem likeable. Hyneman seems much more reserved and unapproachable.

Aside from his book, Adam also has a new television series about to drop.

2 Likes

I am afraid to find out what he does with a soldering iron.

Adam Savage wrote a book? I’ll bite

Next up, Jamie Hyneman’s new book “Stop Using All My Tools as Hammers!”

I’m gonna just take a wild guess that Adam’s approach is the antithesis of Jamie’s :thinking:

6 Likes

Was that always the case or is it a recent thing? If they’ve never got along I’m amazed they managed to create so many episodes of Mythbusters.

My impression was that they weren’t socially friends, but they had a reasonable professional relationship.

Not that uncommon, I guess- Penn and Teller day they’ve never had a social meal together (and they’ve been partners for a million years).

5 Likes

From Polygon:

“We’re not afraid to say something that will hurt the others’ feelings, because we don’t care,” Savage says, which is a quote that sounds brutal on paper but works within the wider context of what he’s saying. “We consider it a point of pride that the right idea always wins — it doesn’t matter whose it is.”

There are arguments to be made over the rigor of the experiments on Mythbusters , but the amount of work that goes into each episode, including the fabrication and design done by the team, is staggering. The fact that the two of them have been able to work together for this long while not being able to stand each other’s company, more or less, is something rare in pop culture: It’s a working relationship based purely on respect and mutual gain.

“We get on each other’s nerves and everything all the time, but whenever that happens, we say so and we deal with it and move on,” Hyneman told Access Hollywood back in 2014. “There are times that we really dislike dealing with each other, but we make it work.”

7 Likes

funny-pictures-tool-hammer-Nunchaku-5203624

5 Likes

You’re physically much closer than I would have thought; I used to live in Alameda, more than a decade ago.

1 Like
1 Like

That’s when I was there for approx. 18 months, I miss Park Street, and roaming the old abandoned Navy base early in the morning.

1 Like

I miss the diner that used to be on the corner of Webster & Santa Clara. I used to take my kid there for creamsicle floats when she was little.

2 Likes

Have you experimented with how many of those it takes to get brain-freeze?

3 Likes

Only one, if you drink/eat it fast enough.

Do you know how to combat a case of brain freeze?

3 Likes

Shockingly, even though I lived near an ice-cream van depot, no.

4 Likes

Sip on a room temperature soft-drink, then run your tongue repeatedly back and forth over the roof of your mouth.

ETA:
I suppose having a hot drink like coffee, tea or cocoa would also do the trick, but my method involves much less of a shock to the system, and zero risk of burning one’s tongue and throat.

3 Likes

Ah, neat trick, nice!

And shame on me for thinking it may have been a joke set-up :wink:

4 Likes