Adam Savage proves Star Wars blasters can't be lasers

Was it that bad? I’ll kill it.

I apologize for my insensitivity.

I would definitely pimp my spaceship like that, yes.

Also, RPG-7s in movies aren’t like real RPG-7s:

Doesn’t Adam watch his own show?

I never really thought about it before because I was 3 years old at the time.

Cis dudes.

Most cis dudes.

Most cis dudes according to that one study.

Isn’t there a BoingBoing post about how the bulk of studies like this are done on white, affluent educated westerners - and as such, most studies are good indicators of how white, affluent university students will respond under clearly defined conditions?

1 Like

Read the link. The “statistics” behind that myth are utter bullshit. Hard to get worked up over the non-inclusiveness of studies that never even existed.

1 Like

Is that “reed the link” (imperative) or “red the link” (declarative past-tense)? Are you referring to CH’s link, or the link(s) in the boing-boing-post-I-couldn’t-find-back?

I’m reading your words like a Necker cube.

1 Like

And, I’ll note, is somehow full of air, given that our heroes can wander around inside its open mouth with nothing more than oxygen masks.

This ties together with “starfighters maneuver like prop planes” and “starfighters make noise in space” as the foundation of my theory that, in Star Wars, interplanetary space is not a vacuum but some sort of classical ether. HERE, READ THIS 20-PAGE ESSAY THAT PROVES MY FINDINGS

5 Likes

Given how weird science and technology is in Star Wars, it’s not unreasonable to speculate that they don’t have projectile weapons. Gunpowder was never discovered, and possibly violates the local laws of physics.

There’s a lot of things that can be read as startlingly low-tech with a few weirdtech additions. Like, X-wings are basically 1950s jet fighters plus antigravity.

1 Like

Gunpowder was never discovered, and possibly violates the local laws of physics.

Hrrrrmmm…fireworks are both canon and legend.

3 Likes

They are for a fact, and you can quote me on this, special effects. I didn’t need some fancy myth busting TV show to figure this one out.

1 Like

You test me, sir.

1 Like

3 Likes

Yes you do. Here, drink this.

Eh, they’ve obviously got explosives and rocket fuel. That doesn’t necessarily mean they’re suitable for gunpowder projectiles. Alternately, blaster tech was discovered early enough, and is simple enough, that no one bothered plowing through the centuries of really shitty early guns to reach modern projectiles.

It’s clear from the shots of various spacedocks on the Death Star and its successor that the Star Wars universe sometimes use forcefields to keep the air in when a door would be less convenient (presumably tuned somehow to block air molecules but allow large objects such as spaceships through).

From that it can be assumed that rather than go through all the rigmarole of pressure suits and airlocks, when work needs to be done outside a spacecraft in space a forcefield could be projected around it and the volume filled with gas to provide pressure. (Unfortunately, this head-canon of mine is unable to explain why the crew of the Millennium Falcon still needed masks. Maybe the pressure was actually too thin to breathe unaided, or the filler gas wasn’t actually breathable. They’d still need airlocks, but even that’s an order of magnitude or two quicker than donning a spacesuit.)

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.