1 Like

At work I can only watch the GIF.
Does dad set the kids hair on fire?

5 Likes

Dare I spoil it?

2 Likes

That is just too sweet!

1 Like

That is cute, but the word ‘solution’ fits the scenario far better than the word ‘hack’.
Blowing through a straw instead of sucking through it hardly constitutes a hack. Possibly a remix?
/rant

If current trends continue, “hack” is on track to replace all verbs by the spring of 2018.

10 Likes

Oblig xkcd:

Alt: Though 100 years is longer than a lot of our resources.

7 Likes

It needs to occur in a logarithmic scale, rather than a linear, to accommodate Zipf’s Law.

2 Likes

If I was in the universe-creating business (I wouldn’t have minded that as a career, but my school didn’t offer the courses) I’d love to put in things like Zipf’s Law and Euler’s Identity, just to mess with the heads of my sentient creations.

1 Like

Yeah, isn’t Zipf’s law one of the important ones for fraud detection? When the “random” numbers gets too uniform and doesn’t skew according to Zipf’s law then you know someone has been making shit up instead of actually moving money around the right way.

1 Like

That is Benford’s Law that is used in fraud detection, which is very similar and related to Zipf’s Law.

It has been argued that Benford’s law is a special bounded case of Zipf’s law

The ratios of probabilities in Benford’s law are not constant. The leading digits of data satisfying Zipf’s law with s = 1 satisfies Benford’s law.
There is an investigation into looking at using Zipf’s law for this though.

1 Like

Indeed. Even the Fibonacci distribution of flower petals or sunflower seeds is another great example.

This makes me want grandkids. [ I am half way or so between no kids and grandkids - my oldest is 14 ]

Cute video, but after I watched it I read over the related posts and was inspired to ask a question.

Does anyone know when Boing Boing decided to become Buzzfeed?

And that’s not trolling so much as an honest editorial opinion. Between the vapid content and clickbait titles, i thought this was Buzzfeed.

1 Like

A great deal of informative and insightful articles disappeared when Maggie Koerth-Baker left.

1 Like

‘Abort, Retry, Fail?’ was the phrase some wormdog scrawled next to the door of the Edit Universe project room. And when the new dataspinners started working, fabricating their worlds on the huge organic comp systems, we’d remind them: if you see this message, always choose ‘Retry.’

Malkovich malkovich?

1 Like

Sustainable. Sustainably sustaining sustainable sustainability.

2 Likes