Adorable Husky puppy can't howl like a dog

[Read the post]

The thing filmed is vertical in orientation. You’d rather see the frame chop off either the dog’s lower body or the person’s head, but show lots of the fascinating fridge she’s standing by?

5 Likes

Yes.  

7 Likes

Portrait orientation was absolutely the correct aspect choice for this subject matter.

6 Likes

It’s a strongly vertical subject. If anything needs to be fixed, it’s the display.

5 Likes

The puppy sounds like he’s trying to imitate the people talking to him.

This is what English sounds like to a dog. “Bla bla bla blaaaaa!”

9 Likes

So you’re into fridges, eh? That’s cool.

Now it just needs to learn to throw in the occasional “good boy”, “bad”, “NO”, and its own name and it’ll be a perfect imitation.

More fun to me - the crazy swinging frame (presumably an artifact of Youtube’s video stabilization?)

1 Like

You’d rather see the frame chop off either the dog’s lower body or the person’s head, but show lots of the fascinating fridge she’s standing by?

Well considering the person taking the video already cut off part of the person’s head I don’t see how that much matters… And if you’d take a step back then you could get the person and dog in the whole video in the correct orientation.

Or I don’t know…stop using your cell phone as a replacement for a real camcorder.

and before everyone talks about how a cell phone is the quickest on hand…sure but in this case I highly doubt the dog just started doing this at this exact moment in time.

Why would I spend a not insignificant amount of dollars on a real camcorder when I can carry around a perfectly fine video recording device/net surfing machine/telephone in my pocket with me everywhere I go? If they’re good enough to share with my friends and family, that’s all I need them to be. Though I still never record in portrait, even the subject matter might be better served with portrait video. I just choose a better way to frame it in landscape mode.

2 Likes

Though I still never record in portrait, even the subject matter might be better served with portrait video. I just choose a better way to frame it in landscape mode.

That’s what saying. It’s not hard to compose a good shot in landscape.

While this does skirt not on the topic of a dog howling…I’ll give you my main technical points.

-Camcorders will output a standard video format. Some cell phones do, some do not. Just because it is MP4 doesn’t mean the actual file structure meets any specific criteria.
-Zoom capability, ie no fixed ratio.
-They are designed around video recording. Stabilization, better audio (or external mic perhaps), better sensor for video.

Now if all you are doing is taking a quick video and throwing it up on the net and don’t give two shits about formats, longevity, being able to play it back on something that’s not a phone then they are fine. Personally, it’s rare I take video that I don’t wish to keep.

also

Imagine a distant future where I can just plug a data line into my skull and video is supplied to my optic nerve or something. Do you really want to have black bars or be able to enjoy the video the way you’d see it in real life?

And back on topic…I’m not sure I could handle that dog doing that at 3am…I mean it’s cute in this context, but that’s a hell of an alarm clock.

I got a Minions flashback when it sounded like the dog said “banana”

Never.

1 Like

My current phone records video into 3GP files. But they upload to YouTube just fine, with no conversion required (I presume YouTube uses its servers to handle that), and then I can actually download them later as full res mp4 files if I want, thanks to firefox plugins like Video DownloadHelper. Which brings me to:

The vast majority of my video is specifically for throwing up on the net to share with friends and relatives. It actually looks pretty decent even in full screen on my 24" work monitor, and is significantly nicer to look at than home movies my parents took of me in the 80’s, even on the big screen TV. And it means I don’t have to carry around an extra device. I’m no filmmaker here, “good enough” is precisely that - good enough. My only real complaint is low light performance, but that’s improving drastically every year.

Through the kitchen table, like?

Keep going lil doggie, you almost got this!

Side note: as a user on the non-US side of the pond, I keep getting “this video is blahblah Jukin Media, restricted from playback on certain sites” and I have to click through to youtube to watch it. Anyone else get that? Have had an adblocker forever, recently added privacybadger - that’s the only recent change I can think of.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.