Adulting merit badges

The way i see it is not so much gameification but just overall sense of humor about the difficulties people face being an adult. However if these badges do motivate someone to get things done good for them, i know i have a huge problem with self-motivation.

1 Like

I remember when you could buy a “bitcoin” merit badge. For one bitcoin.

That’s the badge, right there: “Verbed all the things today!”

1 Like

Speaking as someone who put “take your medicine” into a streak-tracking app as part of a self-improvement goal for this year, sometimes you just need that gold star.

5 Likes

I agree, but have some compassion for those who need these pieces of flair to express themselves (and convince their managers that they are really trying). :wink:

5 Likes

This one.

2 Likes

Reverbed todayyyyyy

3 Likes

Yeah parenting ≠ adulting.
It’s next level adulting.

And regardless of whether one makes the argument that some people really should not have kids, the next level is harder. Differently hard.

The badges I’ve seen at the Amazon link set the bar dang low, which is the [ironic] point, yes.

Wonder if Wink wants suggestions for next-level badges:

• donated blood
  • donated an organ
  • wrote or called a congresscritter
  • spoke up at a town meeting
  • filed FOIA request
  • organized a demonstration outside a business or government building
  • first deposition
  • first bankruptcy
  • first tax return
  • ID theft recovery
  • fixed car by the side of the road at night/with tools and materials on-hand
  • got up to date on vaccinations
  • reported illegal dumping
  • took picture of illegal dumping
  • stood by a stranger in solidarity during a tense social situation
  • reported sexual or other harassment to HR and to police
  • secured home wi-fi network
  • provided IT help to elderly
  • set, emptied, reset spring-loaded rat trap
  • bought a fire extinguisher
  • refilled/repressurized (“blessed”) existing fire extinguisher

etc.

3 Likes

I am prepared to give ‘adulting’ a pass here. There are a few terms that get over their origins by self-reference: ‘adhocism’ is re-using old words, ‘naff’ is itself a naff term without any Greek or Roman ancestors, and for me ‘adulting’ is something that grown-ups seem to do as viewed by an outsider.

If you don’t like that, remember that ‘television’ is worse as it mixes Latin and Greek, but ‘telescope’ was already taken. That word is almost respectable these days, I am told. Give the others time.

3 Likes

They’d go well with the Freelancer Badges. There’s even some overlap on the pants. Metaphorically.

3 Likes

:slightly_smiling_face: DEEEEE LEEEE TED

YES! I HAAAAATE Gmail. I really need to find an alternative.

1 Like

Depositions are not going to fit the life experience of the vast majority of people.

There are, however, non-legal fields where your career is considered incomplete if you never face one.

1 Like

I hear you. Am kinda in the middle of a something and yes, you are correct.

1 Like

Got my first one over with about a decade ago. Expect to have a couple more before I’m done. :pensive:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.