Adults buying things for themselves make up quarter of all toy sales

When I was a kid my friend had that and it was epic.

I need to convince one of my adult friends to buy one. Its probably a good scale for DX Chogokin Macross planes (If you spend more than kids toys its totally adult appropriate :wink: ).

3 Likes

Feels about right. My wife and I buy stuff for ourselves near Christmas, and then tell each other.

“So, what did I buy you for Christmas this year?”
“Why, those gardening tools I ordered last week. They’re very nice. Thank you!”

5 Likes

I don’t know one Dad who doesn’t jam on these when their kid isn’t around. You could form a band…

9 Likes

I loved Micronauts as a kid during their late 70s heyday, as an adjunct to my Star Wars figures/toy playtime storylines. A fella in a Mego group I’m in was selling off his collection at pretty reasonable prices, so I took the opportunity to re-acquire a couple of favorites with a ton of memories attached: Astro Station and the Hornetroid. I had a palpable feeling of joy re-assembling them and putting them on display. The big difference was the feel and fragility of 40+ year old plastic, and a slight size/memory differential as I’m 2 feet taller than I was then. :wink:

4 Likes

Reminds me of how John Lasseter said that the inspiration for the plot of Toy Story 2 came from his own experience as a collector when it suddenly dawned on him how ridiculous he was being for trying to keep his five boys from playing with the rare/vintage toys that filled his office at Pixar:

And I was sitting there saying ‘Oh no, that’s uh, you can’t play with that one, oh no, play with this one, oh no…’ and I found myself just sitting there looking at myself and laughing. Because toys are manufactured, put on this Earth, to be played with by a child.

8 Likes

Does it bring people joy?

John Oliver Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

More power to them, then! I too sometimes buy toys for myself! They are neat to have around!

11 Likes

Oh, man. The boys and dolls thread got nuked. Too bad. Men play with dolls too.

I love the Picco Neemo line. 1/12 scale. Over 24 points of articulation; I think that’s more than I have!

6 Likes

man. shades of Danny Choo…

over the years, i collected many action figures of characters from anime, movie and tv shows (Breaking Bad, GoT) and from comic lore, but there are also the collector Barbies that i love (and still have). Katniss Everdeen, Julie Newmar Catwoman, Harley Quinn, Lynda Carter Wonder Woman. they are all still cherished - even if carefully packed away and no longer displayed.
Deadpool still sits on the top shelf of the bar, along with Spike Spiegel and Thanos, but i have slowed my roll in purchases. nowadays, toys are more novel fishing tackle and electronics than figures.

2 Likes

As long as the packaging is never opened.

3 Likes

Sometimes it’s a little of both: like when a parent (by definition, an adult) buys a LEGO set for her old-enough-to-drink adult daughter. It’s not for me, and I won’t play with it, but it’s also not for a child.

3 Likes

Oh, I would love a smart doll, but can’t afford to buy accessories for yet another scale (smart doll app 1/3). That might change if and when he finishes the automatic version.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.